The Leave of Absence Administrator is responsible for managing and administering all associate leaves of absence for the South Division as well as providing subject matter expertise of the Company Health & Welfare plans, leave policies. This includes administering all Family and Medical Leave Act leaves of absences, military leave, other statutory leave entitlements, leaves of absence detailed in collective bargaining agreements. Compliance responsibilities include, but are not limited to, determining when to run FMLA leave concurrently with absences caused by a workplace injury or illness (workers compensation), administering extended medical leaves of absence under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and ensuring compliance with all related terms and requirements of Airgas' collective bargaining agreements.
* Manages all leave of absence requests, including medical, personal, disability, FMLA, and military. Effectively interpret FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities. Administers short and long term disability paperwork.
* Responsible for all communications with the employee, management, Human Resources, and/or any third party disability vendor during the duration of an employee leave. This includes updating management and HR Director on any changes during leave. Counsel employees regarding leaves of absence including explaining leave policies, coordinate paperwork and tracking.
* Interprets and administers leave programs and policies in accordance with the applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA, ADA, USERRA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, etc.) and applicable collective bargaining agreements. Ensures that the workers' compensation program is managed consistently with the FMLA leave program while maintaining compliance with applicable OSHA and workers' compensation laws.
* Independently approves and/or denies leave cases based on relevant medical information. Coordinates and organizes all medical information and ensures that HIPAA and Employee Privacy guidelines are closely monitored and effectively executed. Ensures that all reportable workers' compensation claims are submitted to the company's vendor within 48 business hours from the date of the incident.
* Demonstrate expert level knowledge of HR programs, policies, benefit plans, in order to quickly resolve issues or concerns
* Responsible for partnering with the field HR, safety, local managers, the Airgas labor practice group, and third party administrators (TPA) (where applicable) in the handling of all aspects of day to day leave administration, ensuring that all Service Level Agreements (SLA) are met by utilizing effective communication, customer service, and management skills along with efficient, timely and accurate guidance and delivery.
* Conducts Tier I investigations of alleged fraudulent activity of all leave cases and workers' compensation claims. Works closely with the appropriate internal resources to identify, research and resolve matters.
* Partners closely with all HR business partners, managers, and safety, where applicable, on all leave cases and workers' compensation claims. Meets regularly with HRBPs to review claims' status and develops strategies for resolution.
* Manages STD/LTD programs and vendor relationships. Ensures that STD claims are coordinated with FMLA or general medical cases.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* 3-5 years of absence management experience or progressive Human Resources generalist experience including successful people and program management.
* Customer service/client support experience required. GMS, CRP or PHR certification is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
* Ability to analyze and interpret data
* Experience with ADA, FMLA, local and state leave laws, STD, LTD, Workers' Compensation and leave of absence processing policy design and administration.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to the highest degree of professional standards
* Familiarity with vendor relationship management to include but not limit to: contract and statement of work support, performance management and contract compliance, vendor payment, etc.
* Strong combination of communication, planning, collaboration, organizational and analytical skills
* Requires the proven ability and experience in utilizing judgment, problem solving, and decision making and negotiation skills
* Proven ability to interface with all levels of the Company
* Ability to professionally handle difficult situations and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
* Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
* Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent's
* Experience with HR Information Systems (WorkDay), Microsoft Office and Google platforms
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability