Fire Protection Engineer
The Building & Life Safety Systems Engineering (BLSSE) unit at the Kesselring Site oversees the site Fire Protection Program and building code compliance.BLSSE provides the engineering resource to support operation, maintenance and system reliability of the sites fire protection systems.BLSSE also oversees the sites building permit program to ensure code compliant building modifications and new construction.Daily activities will include reviewing facility designs for system compatibility and code conformance, performing code evaluations to support site operations and assisting in the development of fire hazard analysis and facility assessments.This position will require the fire protection engineer to interact with multiple project execution teams, systems engineers and building owners to ensure code compliant design and construction. The successful candidate should be comfortable working in a self-directed environment and mentoring more junior engineers within the team.
The mission of the BLSSE unit at the Kesselring Site is to provide timely, high quality, integrated, customer service-based engineering solutions for all non-reactor plant prototype facilities, and to support the operations, maintenance, and capital improvement needs while embracing regulatory compliance.The Kesselring Site is a government reservation of approximately 4000 acres with a developed area of nearly 60 acres. Our facilities support the training of naval personnel, the testing of new reactor plant technologies and the associated business support functions.
BS degree in Fire Protection Engineering, MS degree in Fire Protection
Experience with the design and maintenance of fire protection systems including alarm and detection, water and gaseous suppression systems, fire and life safety code reviews, and fire hazard analysis.
* Familiarity with Department of Energy Fire Protection Programs
* Familiarity/Working knowledge of the ICC Codes/Building Code set for New York State and associated reference standards
* Familiarity with NFPA standards
* Experience with the development of engineering documents (e.g. engineering analysis, technical specifications, functional requirements, cost estimates, maintenance requirements, engineering drawings, etc.)
* Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification or Professional Engineer (PE) registration
* Strong interpersonal and teaming skills
* Coordination of multi-discipline teams
* Strong written and verbal communication skills