Moog Space and Defense Group is the premier motion and flow control solutions provider for the following markets: satellites, human-rated space vehicles, launch vehicles, missiles, military ground vehicles, naval vessels, and security and surveillance. Emerging areas of focus include metal additive manufacturing, blockchain for supply chain, sensor integration, and propulsion test facilities.
Moog is looking to find a Machine Operator to work at our Central facility,
located at 1213 North Main Street in Blacksburg, VA.
*This will be a 2nd shift, full time 40 hour a week position.
- Perform basic drill press operations: Set up drill press, use various attachments, clamps, vises, chucks, drills, reamers, countersinks
- Perform basic lathe operations: Set-ups, speeds, feeds, accessories, faceplate, various types of chuck, tail stock use, taper turning, threading, knurling
- Perform basic milling machine operations: Proper procedures for indicating machine and work, speeds, feeds, and accessories including vise, dividing head, rotary equipment, cutters, boring heads, mills and drills
- Perform basic grinding operations: Set-up and operate surface and pedestal grinders, wheel dressing procedures and tools. Includes proper speeds, feeds, safety, care of wheels, determining grit, hardness and bond of wheels and application
- Care, use and application of various turning/plunge and form tools
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Successfully perform machine operations at ability/level
- Demonstrate basic ability in the use and care of basic measuring devices
- Operate shear vise, tapping machine (manual and power), understand different styles and types of taps and dies (metric and standard).
- Operate various types of power hand tools, grinders, drills, belt sanders, and disc sanders, sand and bead blasters
- Operate and understand power band saw, cut off saw, proper selection of speeds, feeds, tooth size, blade welding, guide setting, blade replacement
- Cleaning assembly and various other tasks as required. Ability to verify work completed meets requirements of blueprints, standards and work instructions
- Complete required paperwork accurately and legibly
- Proficient using Winterm/Connect to access documents and verify revisions
- Assist in training / cross-training of others
- Participate in Continuous Improvement Process
- Work with minimal supervision
- Perform other duties as assigned
- This job requires access to US export-controlled information
- A high school diploma or equivalent, with at least one-year completion of an approved vocational program in Machine Technology or equivalent
- To be proficient in general math (use of fractions, decimals, simple formulas and charts)
- To be able to lift at least 50 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to use Machine Shop Gauges and machines
- Knowledge in blueprint reading and geometric tolerances
- In accordance with law, as part of new hire on-boarding, each new hire must verify identity and demonstrate a legal right to work in the country where he/she will be employed to complete the process.
- Welding experience preferred
- Working knowledge using Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry
- Demonstrated experience using lean manufacturing in a machine shop setting
- To be self-motivated and have the ability to multi-task
- Preference will be given to candidates who are currently enrolled or who have completed a related apprenticeship program or field of study
*As part of the standard onboarding process for a federal contractor, Moog requires each new hire to verify her/his identity and demonstrate legal eligibility to work in the United States
Moog is a performance culture that empowers people to achieve great things. Our people enjoy tackling interesting technical challenges in a culture where everyone trust each other to do the right thing. For you, working with us can mean deeper job satisfaction, better rewards, and a great quality of life inside and outside of work.
EOE/AA Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
EOE/AA Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Veteran