Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have multiple openings for Machinists/Sr. Machinists. You will provide journeymen skill level manufacturing support to fabricate difficult-to-machine parts, components, and assemblies to customer requirements. You will have close technical interactions with engineering support and facility personnel. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES) of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this roleyou will
- Set up and operate all conventional and most moderately complex precision and CNC machine tools to manufacture parts and assemblies.
- Handle and manage classified documents, parts, and systems.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Fabricate difficult fixtures and holding devices used during manufacturing processes.
- Perform shop math calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to achieve ultra-precision finishes, dimensions, and overall design intent.
- Design and fabricate moderately complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out advanced technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 981.3 level
- Design and fabricate complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out complex technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Solve complex technical problems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Machine Tool Technology or equivalent completion of an apprenticeship program in the machining trade or equivalent level of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to perform moderately complex machining operations involving conventional and CNC machine tools, also related manufacturing and measuring equipment.
- Intermediate knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Intermediate knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and provide solutions or alternate approaches to manufacturing problems using individual judgment and creativity.
- Intermediate level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
- Understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices. Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
- Ability to work overtime, various shifts and or weekends to accomplish goals.
Additional qualifications at the 981.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Advanced knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Advanced level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with handling classified documents, classified parts, and classified removable electronic media.
- High Explosives or hazardous materials handling/machining experience.
- Familiarity with MasterCam and/or Pro-E-Creo CNC programming.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our .
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our .
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed .
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.