As a member of our growing national 1 Water team, you will use your experience and education to perform advanced water system hydraulic modeling and transient analyses, evaluate potential system improvements, and support the development of Smart Utility analytics for water master planning and system optimization projects.
*This position can work remote throughout the U.S.
In this role, you will work closely with our technical experts, project teams, and client service managers to advance our technical services and support business development on a wide variety of water system projects for primarily public sector clients. Typical projects could involve:
- Advanced modeling and master planning for municipal water utilities throughout the US
- Creating or updating and executing a variety of hydraulic models to assess existing problem areas, predict future issues, and develop solutions for planning and design projects
- Preparing Feasibility studies, alternatives analyses, and conceptual design documents for water infrastructure improvement projects
- Assisting with water supply studies and alternatives analysis
- Working closely with a Smart Utility technology team on use cases to develop sensor configurations and analytics for water distribution system investigation and optimization
- Perform modeling and planning of water distribution, supply and transmission systems
- Evaluate pump station hydraulics
- Perform transient analysis modeling for water systems
- Prepare comprehensive technical reports and presentations and conceptual design documents
- Manipulation and analysis of data using spreadsheets, tools, and GIS
- Periodic travel to project and client sites for data collection and meetings
- Manage projects and direct the work of a project team.
- Lead or assist in technical portion of proposal preparation by developing work approach, schedule and level of effort for modeling and planning project pursuits
- Review the modeling and planning work of others
- Participate in client development activities
- Writing letters and otherwise communicating with clients and the public
- Coordinate, manage, and execute assignments to achieve client goals within scope, schedule, and budget constraints
- Collaborate with our Smart Utility Initiative subject matter experts and technology vendors on field technology for flow, pressure and water quality measurement including Internet-of-Things smart sensors, data loggers and systems. Work with the team to develop data analytics to evaluate and solve specific use cases.
- Participate in and contribute to BC's master planning and modeling practice, improving company resources and tools to improve quality and efficiency
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in civil or environmental engineering; Master's or PhD degree preferred
- PE license
- Advanced knowledge of water infrastructure hydraulics, operation, and master planning
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- 10 to 15 years of directly-related experience in water hydraulic modeling and planning, with progressively increasing responsibility. Mentorship opportunities available for qualified entry-level applicants.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to prepare effective written documents
- Organizational and analytical skills with high attention to detail
- Experience with sewer collection infrastructure modeling and planning is desired
- Proficiency with advanced modeling, transient analyses, data management, and related software packages a plus (e.g., InfoWater, InfoWorks, InfoSurge, WaterGEMS, WaterHAMMER, EPANET, EPA-SWMM, ArcGIS, Excel, Power BI)
- Project management skills with demonstrated experience managing staff within scope/schedule/budget
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet insurance and long-term care insurance. Click to see our full list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with 52 offices and 1,700 professionals across North America and the Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice-to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. For more information, visit
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Brown and Caldwell ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.