Inspiration, imagination, and innovation. Here at Aerie Pharmaceuticals, we share this passion for finding new approaches to protecting vision. United by great science, deep clinical insight, and a singular focus on your ophthalmic needs, we see the possibilities ahead and invite you to join us in creating the future of eye care.
Aerie Pharmaceuticalsseeks qualified candidates for a full-time position in our legal department in the Bedminster, NJ office
To fully provide a high quality and diverse range of legal and compliance support services on complex issues, while exercising discretion, professionalism and solid judgement. The Paralegal is responsible for the creation and archiving of legal records and supporting and managing the workflow and process for various legal, contract, corporate governance, litigation and compliance initiatives within Aerie Pharmaceuticals, Inc., while complying with various State, Federal, and International laws, rules, and regulations. The role requires a clear understanding of the need for proper documentation in all aspects of the role, and requires the ability to analyze, understand, and assist in keeping in compliance with the myriad of laws, rules and regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry today. The role also requires superior communication skills, the ability to work independently, as well as with people within and without the Company at all levels of seniority and across all functions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Administer/maintain Aerie's Contract system and the archiving of executed contracts.
- Maintain the library of contract templates to streamline various business needs as appropriate.
- Maintain a tracking system for producing new contracts, renewals, and a process that can be translated into meaningful information for reference by each functional area.
- Maintain the Company's minute books and index of corporate governance documents.
- Process and coordinate the preparation of Annual Questionnaires and Evaluations with Aerie's Board of Directors.
- Support diligence efforts in association with various corporate transactions.
- Support maintenance of litigation files and associated discovery.
- Organizing and managing files, documents, and exhibits.
- Conducting legal research as requested.
- Review and audit of external legal counsel invoices and billing issues.
- Support internal investigation process as may be requested from time to time.
- Support the maintenance of Aerie state licensure requirements.
- Assist in the development of Legal Department policies and procedures as needed.
- Ability to prioritize workload and ensure efficient and effective use of resources.
- Assists with audits.
- Possesses a high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
- Assist with special projects as directed.
- Maintain departmental calendar and coordinate travel.
- Contract data entry
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity and professionalism at all times.
- Possesses a positive attitude while continuing to be detailed and solutions oriented.
Knowledge of basic legal terminology required. Strong organizational skills. Ability to multitask. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Good knowledge of English grammar and spelling. Facility with PowerPoint and Excel and have the ability to master other software programs involved in the position including Contract Express and Diligent Boards. Personal computer/word processing keyboard skills. Ability to accurately track and meet numerous, complex deadlines. Ability to deal with pressure situations in a positive manner. Ability to compose documents (translate a thought or idea into memorandum/letter form without loss of meaning). Knowledge of record keeping systems, general office procedures and machines.
- Bachelor's or equivalent experience
- Paralegal certificate
- Level 3 - 4 years' experience, as a paralegal
- Level 4 - 6 years' experience, as a paralegal
- Prior law firm or in-house corporate experience, preferably in health care related field
- Must possess thorough knowledge and understanding of various software packages, specifically Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Internet Explorer
- Ability to read and prepare simple financial reports
- May work on assignments that are complex in nature where good judgment is required in resolving problems
- Requires the ability to be flexible, proactive, and able to practice excellent prioritization, must be able to maximize efficiency, and must have good organizational skills
- Basic understanding of contract law
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: Standard office building, multiple floors with stairs and elevator.
Aerie Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or other protected category.