Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB Motion is a pioneering technology leader, driving innovation in motion industries. We keep the world turning, while saving energy every day. Our motors and drives are an integral part of everyone's lives, writing the future of smart motion. Your responsibilities
The role reports to the Regional General Counsel, Motion. As a Senior Counsel, you will be responsible to Implement regional and global corporate and business area strategy and advise management and business on legal and integrity issues relating to the relevant area(s) of responsibility to ensure full compliance with Group policies and instructions, as well as local legal regulations.
- The Senior Counsel for NAM Motion Business Area will provide legal support to the ABB Motion Business Area and related Divisions in North America.
- Acting as a strategic business partner and enabler, the main accountabilities of the Senior Counsel for NAM Motion shall include-
- Legal advice - Provide legal advice and counsel to ABB management across a broad range of legal issues and assist with dispute and litigation matters as directed.
- Contract negotiation - Assist with negotiation and risk assessment of frame agreements, contracts, partnerships and other contractual terms in collaboration with Region/Country Legal/Integrity Manager and relevant business stakeholders.
- Legal strategies - Anticipate and identify legal issues relative to the business and proactively develop effective legal strategies and practical solutions.
- Governance - Ensure good corporate governance in the areas of accountability, support implementation of the Code of Conduct and provide on-going integrity training and assistance in investigation and resolution of any integrity issues that may arise.
- Company guidelines and instructions -Contribute to the development and implementation of new corporate policies/instructions based on local legislation and directives.
- Assist with the implementation of both local and corporate legal and integrity policies and instructions and monitor on-going integrity matters.
- External service providers - Manage and liaise with external service providers, including external legal counsel.
- Training - Provide legal training and awareness for employees in the business.
- Legal and Integrity support - Generally, support the Motion business divisions and sites in the North America region, as well as other members of the Legal and Integrity Team, on a wide variety of Business Area-related legal matters, including supporting sales, commercial operations, project management, global supply chain, manufacturing and field operations.
- This Senior Counsel position will report to the Regional General Counsel for Motion in North America.
- This position may involve travel.
- Basic Qualifications:
- Legal degree from accredited law school and admission to a US state bar.
- Preferred Qualifications;
- Significant legal post-qualification experience or equivalent in a nationally recognized law firm or multinational company, that includes, inter alia.
- Substantial "hands-on" experience in drafting and negotiating international commercial agreements (including, but not limited to, product sales contracts, distribution agreements, Joint Venture and consortium agreement) and complex transaction agreements.
- Substantial "hands-on" experience in drafting and negotiating complex EPC or construction agreements.
- Substantial experience and success in working and negotiating contracts involving international parties and involving government authorities and enforcement agencies.
- Demonstrable regulatory or administrative law experience, preferably antitrust and trade compliance, as well as experience dealing with both common law and civil law issues.
- Experience in preparing and managing litigation, arbitration and mediation.
- Demonstrable fluency in English language, including ability to draft and negotiate legal and commercial documents in English (fluency in Spanish would also be beneficial).
- Command of international commercial and corporation law, including working knowledge of key international conventions as well as public procurement and antitrust law.
- Demonstrable computer literacy with specific proficiency using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and other software such as redlining tools.
- Experience in an engineering or industrial sector.
- Being a "hands-on" business partner with a solution-oriented mindset.
- Experience working in publicly traded company and in regulated markets.
- Ability to lead and motivate (face to face and remotely) functional, business and cross-functional and cross-country teams.
- Superior advocacy and communication skills, including the ability to effectively and efficiently communicate in writing and orally, an aptitude for practical negotiation, the capability to think clearly and quickly under pressure, the composure to satisfy multiple and often competing interests and ability to share lessons learned with teammates.
- The highest integrity and professionalism, and passion for excellence and quality.
- Stakeholders management and superior negotiating skills and ability to work in complex international environment.
- Open minded and comfortable working with teammates from different cultures and backgrounds and in an inclusive environment which champions diversity and inclusion.
- Availability to travel.