Melanoma ONCOLOGY Advanced Practice Provider
Join a large and supportive Advanced Practice Team in a role that specializes in the care of Melanoma patients. With an interdisciplinary team approach, this provider will promote a collaborative relationship between providers, professional nurses and administrative staff, to ensure continuity of patient care from diagnosis and treatment through survivorship or end of life. Develop expertise in the identification and management of immunotherapy side effects and management with the potential to cross cover in other disease centers employing this therapy. Responsible for providing direct care to patients in our Yawkey 7E Ambulatory Clinic.
Melanoma ONCOLOGY APP JOB DESCRIPTION
Provides advanced practice care for the melanoma and skin cancer population. Provides access for patients into the program and coordinates patient care throughout the care continuum. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the medical staff, professional nurses and administrative staff, to ensure continuity of patient care and efficient use of resources.
The Melanoma NP/PA provides direct care to the oncology population in collaboration with the physician and disease center team.
- Performs and records the patient history and physical exam and discusses findings with the physician.
- Utilizes advanced practice knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
- Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD) enhancing continuity of care.
- Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures to the select population mutually agreed upon with collaborating physician.
- Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medical administrators per practice guidelines.
- Collaborates with unit staff and physicians to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
- Writes orders which are in accord with current guidelines.
- Maintains and practices in accord with practice guidelines per state and hospital regulations
Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
- Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
- Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for the unit-based nursing and support staff.
- Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
- Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
- Collaborates with nurse directors, clinical nurses and medical staff to plan, implement and evaluate pertinent change in practice and health care delivery.
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over utilization of services.
- Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources throughinterdepartmental collaboration.
Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
- Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
- Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for investigation.
- Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
- Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
- Encouraged to conduct research
Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
- Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
- Identifies own learning needs and goals.
- Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces of the DON and the hospital.
- Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
- Demonstrated competence in specialized area.
- Ability to effectively communicate clinical information, care plans, etc. to medical and lay audiences; able to educate patients and their families regarding routine and complex medical information.
- Skilled in creating appropriate documentation and use of electronic medical records.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team; can effectively influence and lead as necessary.
- Effectively uses analytical skills and problem-solving techniques in both clinical and operational matters.