The Dietary Clerk is responsible for coordinating the daily work flow in the diet office and is the first and point of contact with patients for the Food and Nutrition Services Department. Performs clerical diet office duties including, but not limited to, maintaining updated patient information and diet office records, driving trayline production forecast, collecting and editing completed patient menus, processing patients' phone orders in an efficient and accurate manner, assisting patients with menu selection, and relaying some interdepartmental communication. The duties are to assist directly and indirectly in patient care through meal service. Occasionally internal communication outside of the work group is required to exchange work-related information. Strong customer service skills are required to appropriately and effectively interact/communicate with patients, coworkers, staff, and customers.
- Manages and understands both the Meditech and "At Your Request" systems.
- Efficiently processes diet orders to meet service demands for diabetic patients, and late trays.
- Answers the telephone and retrieves messages in a timely manner, and accurately records information on telephone log.
- Communicates effectively to transmit departmental, hospital, and patient information and policies.
- Edits and assists patients with menu selections to coincide with complex diet orders, preferences, allergies, and fluid restrictions as appropriate.
- Prepares and records inpatient census, diet census, and diet office logs to maintain accurate records.
- Updates dietary information on Meditech and on the "At Your Request" systems, records diet, fluid restrictions, and tube feeding changes.
- Enters and completes all orders, guest trays, Storks, and incomplete orders in order entry system to enable proper billing.
- Calculates and enters nourishments received and any other current nutritional information with respect to diet restrictions and preferences.
- Prepares and updates inpatient nourishment and tube feeding labels necessary for preparation.
- Maintains daily inventory of all nourishments and tube feedings prescribed for inpatients.
- Drives trayline food production forecast using non-select menu procedure and current patient census.
- Generates current diet list prior to meal service to assure all menus are accurate according to current diet prescription.
- Labels and edits, according to diet order, all menus to be distributed to patients selecting with assistance.
- Maintains files, diet office, and menu inventories.
- Gathers Stork meals information and distributes to the kitchen stations.
- Able, on occasions, to deliver trays and/or food to patients' assigned rooms.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalency (GED) required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in dietary, food service, customer service and/or clerical skills.