Job No: 510935
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: GA Appointment Fall 2021: Teaching Assistant MDI
Employee Classification: Graduate Asst Teaching
Division Name: Academic Affairs
College/Unit: Provost Departments
Department: International Studies
Campus Location: Normal, ILGeneral Summary
The mission of MDI is to (1) provide state-of-the-art training geared to working professionals from public, nonprofit, and private organizations; (2) deliver knowledge on contemporary theory and the practice of international development management; and (3) utilize practitioner's experience to apply theory to public, nonprofit, and private sector practices.
The MDI Graduate Assistant position offers professional knowledge and practical experience in international education, training and development in the fields of education, project management, monitoring and evaluation, human resource management, financial management, managerial accounting and budgeting, statistical analysis, and management and evaluation of social protection programs. Professional skills acquired performing the duties and responsibilities of the position include leadership, teamwork, time management, logistical coordination, social media marketing, and event planning.
Duties/responsibilities (including but not limited to)
1. Assist the MDI associate director and program coordinator in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of short-term international training and development certificate programs.
2. Help instructors prepare training materials.
3. Assist with translation (French/English or English/French).
4. Plan and assist with professional field trips.
5. Manage MDI database.
6. Evaluate and process admissions.
7. Perform general office work activities (not to exceed 49% of total work).
8. Supervise student assistants.
9. Assist with orientation and graduation.
10. Assist with hotel and fleet reservations.
11. Assist with driving.
12. Plan and schedule socio-cultural activities.
13. Other duties as assigned, depending on candidate's abilities, expertise, and MDI needs.
The majority of the graduate teaching assistant's primary duties are in support of instruction including but not limited to the responsibilities below:
1. Serve as a primary or secondary teaching instructor in a class or laboratory
2. Assist a faculty member with teaching-related tasks
3. Grade student assignments which require knowledge of subjects taught in a class or laboratory
4. Meet with and/or tutor students, hold office hours, prepare instructional materials, and assist during class and/or lab, etc.
1. Must be a degree-seeking graduate student at Illinois State University.
2. Must be fluent in the French language.
3. Must be able to obtain a valid U.S. driver license within the first six months of hire.
4. Must complete van training within the first six months of hire.
5. Must be able to assist with evening and weekend programs.
6. Must be eligible for appointment as per the requirements in the Graduate Assistant Handbook (http://hr.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/GA_Handbook.pdf)
7. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources
8. For teaching assistant positions, state law mandates demonstrable oral proficiency in the English language as a requirement for this position.
TBD. May require some weekend and evening hours.Proposed Starting Date
08/01/2021Salary Rate / Pay Rate
$1,032/monthRequired Applicant Documents
Resume, Cover letter, Reference List
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"Special Instructions for Applicants
Note: If you have not yet been assigned a University ID, but are interested in applying for this graduate assistantship, please proceed with the graduate assistant application process. For the first question regarding your University ID, simply enter in nine (9) zeros (e.g., 000000000).
You must be eligible for employment in the United States and at Illinois State University and/or for the number of hours required for the position.
If you are an international student the rules/laws for your visa status may place limits on your employment eligibility. Students are responsible for knowing and following all applicable visa status rules/laws. If you are not certain whether your visa status allows you to accept an assistantship or additional work hours, contact the International Student and Scholar Services immediately for clarification. The University cannot grant exceptions to visa status rules/laws.
Illinois State University Graduate Assistants are restricted to no more than 28 hours per week of on-campus employment for all positions held.
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at . The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at .
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: CST