The Engineering Technician at Sierra Nevada Corporation, Space Systems will work day to day on Space Flight Hardware throughout the plant. Programs may include electromechanical components for commercial and Department of Defense satellite systems, Planetary Exploration Systems such as the Mars 2020 Rover, International Space Station and the full system integration, test and launch operations of the SNC Dream Chaser Cargo System. Because of this fluid yet disciplined work environment, Engineering Technicians must have a high degree of both technical competency, written and verbal communication skills, and be comfortable working in groups or independently in order to develop prototypes and collaborate with engineers, troubleshoot, document and put explicit plans into action on Space Flight assemblies, ground support equipment and test configurations. Engineering Technicians then must be able to analyze test results and data and provide sound recommendations to the engineering staff.
Our ideal candidates are excellent communicators, problem solvers, and possess sound interpersonal and decision making skills. Computer proficiency is mandatory with experience in Microsoft Office suite.
At SNC's Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, systems that sustain life in deep space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team not only supports the U.S. government (including NASA), but also commercial customers and international organizations.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Ability to work with various test equipment including DMMs, oscilloscopes, power supplies and others
- Ability to understand standard documentation packages including assembly drawings and schematics
- Ability to work with electronics and understand electronic schematics
- Ability to set up and run engineering directed testing on a variety of different space flight hardware
- Ability to work with small delicate hardware under magnification
- Ability to work in an ESD sensitive environment
- Maintaining several required certifications
- Understands, plans and executes testing and troubleshooting activities in accordance with SNC policies, procedures, work instructions and specific customer requirements
- Completes parts lists, checks drawings, generates and processes engineering/document change requests, notices, and/or orders and other general engineer tasking with direction from Engineers
- Utilizes standard manufacturing tools including: torque wrenches, calipers, heat guns, scales etc.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of interface and design documentation such as Functional block diagrams PCB design, layout, and fabrication documentation skills.
- Has experience in IPC J-STD-001GS Soldered Electrical Connections (may be substituted with NASA-STD- 8739.3 Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies)
- Has experience in NASA-STD-8739.4 workmanship standard for crimping, interconnecting cables, harnesses or IPC-J-STD-620
- Has experience in NASA-STD-8739.1 workmanship standard for polymeric application on electronic assemblies
- Has experience working in an ESD sensitive environment
- Experience dealing with clients and some business development skills a plus
- Electrical Engineering from ABET accredited institution may substitute for direct experience.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America's fastest-growing companies. Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.