BestCo Inc. is a privately-held manufacturer located and operated in Mooresville, North Carolina. BestCo is known industry-wide as a leading developer and marketer of innovative, consumer health care products for retailers and marketers of OTC drug products and dietary supplements. BestCo specializes in manufacturing solid dose lozenges, soft chews, and other confectionery-based delivery forms of consumer healthcare products for both private label and contract manufacturing partners. BestCo combines nearly a century's worth of confectionery experience with emerging consumer healthcare insights to create unique products for our customers. BestCo strives to be a pioneer and innovator in the field of confectionery delivery forms of OTC drugs and dietary supplements.
BestCo is currently searching for a QC Supervisor on 2nd Shift to be located at our Mooresville, North Carolina facility.
Within the Quality Control Department, and under the general supervision of the Senior Supervisor, the Supervisor is responsible for the direct supervision of QC personnel. The individual will monitor daily laboratory activities and ensure timely and accurate release of data related to final product, intermediate products, raw materials, and production facilities. The Supervisor will lead and facilitate all activities associated with the Quality Control training program. Other duties include providing direction with instrument troubleshooting, general/preventive instrument maintenance, and operational qualification of lab equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure thorough training is completed for current employees new to the quality control department and actively participate in ongoing training for current team members.
- Plans, prepares, and coordinates work schedules to provide adequate coverage and efficient use of personnel.
- Ensures that QC testing and proficiency testing is performed, recorded, and evaluated according to established guidelines.
- Responsible for sample management in the lab (routine, sensory, trial/validation/verification)
- Participate in interdepartmental meetings in support of laboratory operations.
- Participates in compliance related teams working towards the goal of continuous improvement.
- Monitor the quality of performance for direct reports.
- Write and review SOPs.
- Support OOS investigations
- Provide direction to Chemists for troubleshooting analytical instruments, executing general/preventive maintenance, and performing operational qualification of lab equipment.
- Promote and maintain a clean and organized laboratory environment.
- Generate reports as required
- Motivate team members while improving technical skills.
- Maintains close communication and interaction with the existing management and staff to ensure on-time dependable analysis, interpretation, and reliable data.
- Facilitate processes for hiring new employees and administer disciplinary actions as needed.
- Assess large scale projects through maintaining metrics as needed.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Self-motivated, proactive team member to manage work within quality projects and timelines.
- Creative and detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Self-starter with good multi-tasking skills
- Solid understanding of cGMPs, cGLPs, and cGDPs.
- Strong personal integrity
- Ability to work flexible hours when needed
- The ability to use experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Comfortable working both independently without close supervision and within a team environment
- Exemplary communication skills, both verbal and written
- Job requires strict attention to detail and procedure, good mathematical and computer skills, solid analytical technique, and observance of cGMPs
- Chromatography experience (GC, HPLC) is a plus
- Confidence in interactions with multiple levels of management
- Ethics and Values
- Conflict management
- Confronting subordinates
- Customer focus
- Quality decision-making
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Personal Integrity
The Supervisor has direct management responsibility for up to 15 team members.
- Must demonstrate good supervisory skills and excellent interpersonal skills for effective communication with subordinates, peers, and management.
- Effective at handling and resolving personnel conflicts in a proactive manner.
- Must demonstrate the ability to effectively coach, mentor, and motivate direct reports, resulting in a high-performing team with a focus on results and task completion in support of operational goals.
- Must demonstrate effectiveness in holding direct reports accountable for assigned tasks, work rules, and safety standards through a combination of positive and constructive reinforcement.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry and a familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of chemistry.
- At least three years of experience in a cGMP quality control laboratory.
- At least one year of leadership/supervisory experience.
- Laboratory experience in a cGMP manufacturing quality control laboratory
- Laboratory experience in a cGMP analytical quality control laboratory
- Previous experience participating in regulatory audits
- Exposure to basic microbiological principles
- Experience with employee development planning