Company DescriptionFounded in 1934, Parker Drilling provides advanced drilling solutions to the energy industry. We are a technically innovative company providing worldwide drilling services, rental tools and project management, including rig design, construction and operations management.Job DescriptionThe Derrickhand is responsible for maintaining and repairing rig equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well, including circulating, rotating, hoisting, well control systems. The Derrickman is also responsible for any work being performed overhead, derrick inspection, repairs or installation of equipment utilized during drilling operations including any third party equipment.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standard.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of drilling crew as well as efficient operations during tour of duty.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Follow the client's daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Train and supervise junior crew members on standard operating procedures relating to the Derrickhand position to include, but not limited to, proper care and maintenance of the rig and drill string, mud pumps, shakers, rig tanks and mixing hoppers including lubrication of equipment and housekeeping.
- Delegate work effectively to junior employees with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized To Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Straps and measures tubular, casing and tools as required.
- Handles tubular in the derrick as required.
- Aligns stand pipe manifolds and bleed off lines per instructions from AD and Driller.
- Monitors mud returns and fill volumes while tripping in and out to recognize signs for well control issues.
- Announces mud weights and viscosity over public announcement and reports any system changes to supervisors.
- Regulates and adjusts flow of mud across shale shakers, mud cleaning equipment.
- Manages fluid transfers, monitors fluid volumes during transfer process.
- Lines up valves, hoses, hard piping for fluid transfer to and from rig and 3rd party equipment operators.
- Identifies worn or damaged shale shaker screens, makes proper repairs or changes accordingly.
- Preforms isolations and LOTO procedures pertaining to any circulating, rotating or hoisting equipment.
- Preforms installation of equipment overhead in the derrick, including third parties as required.
- Manages working mud tanks and equipment, checks mud weights and properties.
- Monitor tank levels and reports any change to supervisor while maintaining good communication with the mud engineer.
- Operates and maintains mud mixing valve alignment during all fluid movements to ensure we maintain a zero discharge facility.
- Performs mud pump repairs and general pump maintenance, including disassemble, reassemble or oil change and filters.
- Mixes chemicals and lines up mixing pump manifold.
- Assemble well-control or pressure-control equipment on the wellhead.
- Greases derrick crown and traveling block, inspects and maintains safe working conditions within the derrick.
- Cleans the mast and substructure with a high-pressure steam cleaning unit and/or pressure washers.
- Performs scrubbing and cleaning of rig equipment and drilling packages as required with rig wash.
- Performs chipping and painting on drilling packages and equipment as required.
- Comply with emergency response plan or Work Safe Procedures during emergencies and/or drills.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger's role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Knowledgeable of and capable of operating all equipment in the circulatory system including but limited to: Shakers, mud pumps, charge pumps, mixing hoppers, overhead chain falls, winches, mud balance, desander, desilter, etc..
- Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations:
o Drilling and well operations
o Well integrity and well control
o Dropped objects prevention
o Line of fire, zone of exclusion and safe zone operations
o Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes
o Tripping and back reaming
o Running casing and completions
- Should have good verbal communication skills.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Should possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education)
- Education, experience, and certifications:
o High School diploma is preferred
o Must be able to obtain appropriate offshore or, onshore certifications
o Should have at least 4 years of work experience.
Additional qualifications, skills and abilities
Tropical Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (THUE)
- Initiating & Driving Change *Acts as a catalyst for and takes responsibility for leading, directing, and managing organizational change
*Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions
*Creates work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation
*Drives step changes in how the company operates
*Understands how to change and addresses not only systems and processes, but also cultural aspects of change
*Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market
*Develops a change strategy that includes milestones and timelines
*Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change initiatives
*Understands and supports the need for change
*Envisions and articulates the intended result of the change process
*Provides direction and focus during the change process
*Helps to generate support of the changes throughout the organization
*Identifies and enlists allies who support the change process
*Provides resources, removes barriers, and acts as an advocate for those initiating change
- Result Focused *Establishes clear, specific performance goals, expectations, and priorities
*Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully
*Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers
*Very bottom-line oriented
*Steadfastly pushes self and others for results
*Navigates quickly and effectively to resolve problems and obstacles
*Persists to complete tasks / responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties
*Develops a sense of urgency in others to complete tasks*Operates with personal ownership and looks for ways to improve performance all the time
*Challenges him- or herself and others to raise the bar on performance
*Focuses people on critical activities that yield a high impact
*Holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget (e.g., models high work standards and demands the same from others)
- Team Work *Blends people into teams when they are needed
*Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team
*Shares wins and successes
*Fosters open dialogue
*Lets people finish and be responsible for their work
*Seeks consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment
*Defines success in terms of the whole team
*Creates a feeling of belonging in the team
*Values the contributions of all team members
*Creates an environment that encourages open communication amongst team members
*Creates an environment that encourages collective problem solving amongst team members
- Customer Focus *Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
*Gets first-hand customer information and uses it to understand customers' business issues and needs for improvements in products and services
*Acts with customer in mind
*Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
*Genuinely enjoys working with customers to build long-term partnerships
*Creates a sense of customer focus throughout their team/ department/ business unit
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Ability to perform under stress, under pressure, and/or in emergency situations.
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work at heights (scaffolding or ladders)
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Parker is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment and advancement opportunity to all qualified persons based on merit, and we comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices and laws in all our global locations. We strictly prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, or retaliation against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.