Employee Type:Full time
Location:WI Manawa (inactive)
Job Type:Production Management
Job Posting Title:Operations Manager
Provides overall leadership for manufacturing departments in the areas of safety, productivity, quality, cost, equipment, and engagement. Through subordinates, monitors and evaluates the production process and recommends methods to optimize product yields, equipment operation, and process control while reducing waste. Engages all employees in continuous improvement and fosters a positive work environment while developing a culture of ownership and accountability.
Scope: Manages a staff of 10 Business Process Owners (salaried leadership staff) and indirectly manages multiple Production Supervisors. Overall responsibility for approx. 350 hourly manufacturing employees.
- Interpret safety policies/practices to employees including enforcing safe work practices.
- Manage a staff of direct reports through regular performance reviews and developmental activities to ensure movement toward a high performance / high engagement organization, while assuring effective departmental performance.
- Utilize available data (line speed target, set-up guidelines, and efficiency and process data) to continuously improve productivity, uptime and reliability. Utilize the above information as a tool to improve Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) and product cost.
- Help in the implementation, support and drive of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Set clear priorities and align resources to deliver against business and regulatory requirements in the areas of cost, financial controls, and quality, safety and business initiatives.
- Manage product quality by understanding and communicating customer needs to employees and ensuring expectations are consistently met and according to standard work.
- Establishes clear goals and accountability to subordinates and provides performance feedback on a regular basis. Mentors, develops and trains subordinates in current position(s) and for future career growth.
- Assesses production capabilities of the department and makes recommendations in order to maintain pace with demand.
- Works with outside vendors and internal engineering in the design of production lines and production equipment.
- Determine schedules, sequences and assignments for work activities based on work priority, quantity of equipment and skill of personnel.
- Diagnose equipment, ingredients and packaging issues. Coordinate with Engineering, Maintenance or others as appropriate to solve production-related problems.
- Ensure each manufacturing area is maintained in accordance with BRC & AIB standards.
- Ensure security of employees, facilities and information systems by following and enforcing established security procedures.
- Ensure clear and concise communication to all levels in the organization.
- Serve as Operations representative for the PLM process.
- Ensure regular safety inspections are conducted in all manufacturing areas.
- Ensure all manufacturing areas comply with 5S requirements and bays are washed regularly as needed, including utilizing the correct chemicals, dosage and application procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Four-year degree required plus 7-10 years of manufacturing experience, with a minimum three years of experience in a supervisory capacity OR equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience in Continuous Improvement / Lean environment strongly preferred.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills and delegation skills required.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop others required.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving variables in standardized situations.
- Minimal travel may be required.