At Insitu, a Boeing company, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. You can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Insitu is a leading high-tech autonomous systems company driven by a culture of agility and systematic improvement. Since 1994 Insitu has led in the design, development and production of small autonomous aircraft for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). We currently produce and sell an ever growing fleet of Unmanned Aircraft Systems that are low-cost, long-endurance, and have low personnel requirements. These UASs provide a no-runway launch, unprecedented stabilized day and night video for ISR, robotic flight control, and a no-nets capture.
This Senior Manager of "Propulsion Portfolio Product and Engineering Manager" reports to the Vice President of the Product Office and is a combined Product Portfolio leader and functional Engineering Management position. It will be the enrolled and assigned manager for Insitu's Propulsion Department..
- Team organization structure, technical leadership, process leadership and tools/training as it relates to the propulsion engineering discipline and management of multiple propulsion engineers and technicians.
- Product Line leadership including developing propulsion strategy and roadmaps and managing multiple L4 Product Managers and propulsion engineers chartered with planning and executing the cost, schedule and technical performance of IRAD and CRAD projects. The initial core focus will be the N20C, N40 and V3 engines and R&D projects to enhance reliability, performance, and efficiency. The future vision will be to incorporate advanced alternate fuels and/or hybrid technologies.
- Managing the propulsion lab and machine shop/rapid prototyping facility and tools.
- Developing and managing requirements for CAPEX and materials/supplier budget responsibilities related to propulsion projects and engineering infrastructure for propulsion.
- Management responsibility for the full life-cycle of Insitu Propulsion systems (cross-functional team)
- Advanced capabilities
- New product introduction
- Production and supply chain support / sustainment
- Fleet and field operations (including MR&O) / sustainment.
- Leadership of a fairly substantial team assigned to this vertical, including mechanical/CAD, systems/test, electrical, Software/ML, Quality Engineering/on-site, Manufacturing Engineering, and procurement.
- Establishes partnerships and maintains strong and effective stakeholder working relationship.
- Establishes operating policies and procedures that affect departments and subordinate sections and work units. Interprets company-wide policies and procedures. Develops budgets, schedules, and performance standards.
- Interacts frequently with internal and external management and senior-level customer representatives concerning projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements, and/or contractual clarifications. Leads briefings and technical meetings for internal and external representatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Must possess strong communication skills and have 4+ years of experience in a technical leadership role.
- Proven experience leading a Propulsion Engineering group including but not limited to performance reviews, recognition, providing technical guidance, setting goals and establishing daily tasks for a team of Engineers.
- Knowledge of project management techniques including scheduling, management of budgets and technical performance
- Knowledge of risk management techniques as it relates to project/product management.
- Proven experience providing gap analysis for knowledge/skill deficiencies on the team.
- Experienced in providing training to Engineers.
- Knowledge of design concepts and techniques including Design for Manufacture/Assembly, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and tolerance stack-up analyses.
- Knowledge of product lifecycle, including design, manufacturing, deployment, modification, aging and continued service, and disposal. Knowledge and experience in product design release and change management.
- Knowledge of mechanical component and system design, analysis, and integration. Familiarization with the tools required for design, analysis, evaluation, and integration.
- Knowledge of appropriate customer or governmental regulations relevant to design, test, and certification (e.g., Part 25, MILSPEC).
- Knowledge of ASME standards required.
- Knowledge and experience in maintaining mechanical component standard parts libraries, component reuse, and interchangeability/interoperability principals.
- Travel : <10%.
- Knowledge of design for manufacturability in composites or metallic.
- ASME membership.
- Knowledge/skill or proficient with SolidWorks and/or CATIA.
- Knowledge/skill in Model Based Engineering.
- Knowledge/skill in FMEA/FMECA and fatigue/damage tolerant design principals.
- Knowledge/skill in Finite Element Analyses (FEA) and Thermodynamic analyses/testing.
- Knowledge of aerospace and/or aircraft subsystems including, but not limited to airframes and lifting devices (e.g. structure, materials strengths and properties, design criteria, loading conditions).
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree is required; Masters is a strong plus.
- 12+ years in a applicable experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 10+ years of experience in a Mechanical engineering classification with a Master's degree.
- 5+ years of experience in a management / leadership role required.
- Previous experience leading a team that is responsible for designing 2 or 4 stroke, heavy fuel engines a STRONG plus!
Equal Employment Opportunity: Insitu's policy on equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated. All information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.