FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is for three (3) open positions with Jersey Central Power & Light, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [JCP&L]
This position, located in Morristown, NJ, reports under the general supervision of the Regional Distribution Control Center staff.
- Monitoring the day-to-day operations of the regional distribution system
- Demonstrating a solid commitment to all aspects of safety, including adherence to the Accident Prevention Handbook (APH) and Manual of Operations
- Recommending operational improvements and communicating system events to appropriate personnel
- Demonstrating sound internal and/or external customer service
- Operating the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Energy Management System (EMS), Automated Mapping/Facilities Management (GIS) computer system, PowerOn Outage Management System (OMS), Energy Delivery Outage Application (EDOA), DCC Notification System, as well as radio and telephone systems
- Analyzing and acting promptly in cases of system disturbance so that the system can be restored to a normal configuration
- Providing technical analysis, monitoring systems, scheduling and/or authorizing FirstEnergy distribution equipment outages and load transfers
- Developing detailed scenarios to identify operating problems caused by contingency outages
- Assigning and directing switching activities and work assignments to field personnel
- Monitoring system and weather conditions
- Coordinating staffing requirements by calling additional resources to handle emergencies
- Completing training and development to progress to the Regional Distribution System Operator level
- Possessing basic understanding of Bargaining Unit Agreements with field labor
- Associate's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering/Electrical Engineering Technology, or related certification from an accredited institution is required.
- Or minimum of 2 - 4 years' related work experience will be considered. Related work experience includes work experiences with demonstrated understanding to operate the distribution system.
- Pass the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) System Operator/Power Dispatching Test (SO/PD II)
- Capable of effective performance in problem solving, multi-tasking and teamwork
- Demonstrate effective performance in prioritizing work for efficient and safe operations
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn Transmission and Distribution operation, maintenance and construction practices, procedures, work methods, materials, equipment and tools to operate the distribution system
- Strong reading and comprehension skills to effectively interpret switching requests, engineering drawings, schematics, equipment instruction manuals, standards and procedures used to develop distribution switching orders
- Possess skills in the development, collection, organization and analysis of information from a variety of sources to develop switching orders and recommendations
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate with customers, supervisors, peers, employees, and contractors involved with the construction, operation and maintenance of the Transmission and Distribution facilities
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to learn, produce results and develop relationships
- Sufficient maturity to exercise independent judgment on moderately complex projects and assignments
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills to make quick assessments and deliver well-thought decisions, when situations require
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, specific mainframe and computer applications
- Able to remain professional in high stress, high volume work environment
- Live within 45 minutes commute time
- Willing to work rotating shifts and be available for overtime work when needed
We administer selection tests for a variety of positions. The required tests have been developed by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a trade association of investor-owned electric utility companies. We strongly encourage potential employees to review all information, including the sample test brochures, and to use the available practice tests before taking the actual tests. Click this link to access the practice tests. You will be prompted for a name and password. Use firstenergy for both.
Practice tests provide sample questions and detailed discussions of the correct answers. It's important to take the practice test as you would the actual one, with similar intensity and concentration. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.
Note: EEI website does not allow access to actual tests. Testing is held at various locations throughout our service territory based on where the job is located.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a
qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer
H-1B visas at this time.