Job Title:Sr. Manufacturing Engineer - Tool and Gear Development
JOIN THE TEAM THAT'S POWERING PROGRESS
Building cities. Driving commerce. Saving lives. For over 100 years, Allison Transmission has powered the vehicles and technology that move our world forward.
What powers us? Our employees. From the first person hired by James Allison in 1915 to the thousands across the globe who work for Allison today, we're driving progress everywhere because we employ top talent worldwide.
This is an exciting opportunity in Indianapolis, IN for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer - Tool and Gear Development.
Learn more about this role and how you can begindriving your career forward!
The Senior Manufacturing Engineer - Tool and Gear Development will handle the monitoring and maintenance of technical aspects of the gear generation process, looking at a variety of metrics gathered throughout the process. They will analyze efficiency data and process flow. This person works with the Manager to ensure standards for gear generation are maintained, as well as in developing new methods and implementing new product processes.
- Development of tooling systems with emphasis on gear generation both pre and post heat treat with the focus on continuous improvement related to quality and throughput capability of the production equipment.
- Development of supporting process documentation for gear generating equipment set-up, inspection, and changeover.
- Work with supplier and plant support communities in the development of sharpening and coating services for gear cutting and broach tools.
- Ability to evaluate and provide recommendation to correct gear errors using composite and analytical inspection tools.
- Lead or participate in the development of new or advanced gear generating practices.
- Lead or participate in the development of production and analytical measurement standards for existing and future products.
- Provide support to the quality organizations with the evaluation of master gears and gear inspection equipment calibration.
- Provide guidance to the Product Engineering community on manufacturing feasibility and engineering drawing requirements.
- Provide appropriate assistance in major capital appropriations projects as required.
- Provide technical support to Plant operations, domestic and international.
- Provides a physical presence in the workplace.
- Education Requirement: Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7-10 years' experience required
- High level of analytical ability
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work effectively in a group setting
- The ability to work independently
- The ability to multi-task
- CAD proficiency (NX and/or AutoCAD)
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office
- An understanding of Gear Data, Involute Profile Control Charts, and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Direct manufacturing experience in at least one of the following areas: Generative Gear Cutting, Gear Finishing- Grinding or Shaving, Shaping- Gears and Splines, Broaching- Gears and Splines, Spline Rolling
- An understanding of machine tool construction and maintenance
- Experience with statistical qualification of machinery, equipment, and gages
- Experience in working with or supervising hourly employees in a manufacturing environment
- Formal problem solving training
- Familiarity with QS and TS quality systems requirements
- An understanding of lean manufacturing concepts
- Specific specialized skills, including Gear Analyzer programmer, Gear Generating Equipment Programming, etc.
- An understanding of transmission fundamentals
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We have opportunities for all qualified applicants regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran requiring assistance and/or reasonable accommodations reviewing any of the careers information, please contact us at 317-242-5000.
Primary Location:Indianapolis, IN
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We have opportunities for all qualified applicants regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status or any other protected class.