US - MI
UNITED BY STEEL - We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace culture and celebrate the diversity of our employees. We are all responsible to live these principles and lead by example as we prioritize the physical and psychological safety of every team member.
United States Steel Corporation has an immediate opening for an Application Engineer - Product at our Automotive Center in Troy, MI. The Application Engineer - product provides a key link between U. S. Steel and our automotive customers. The Application Engineer - Product will be in close contact with the Materials and Design and Release Engineering teams at the automotive customer, ensuring that U. S. Steel's products can be successfully applied and specified during the new product introduction cycle. The Application Engineer - Product will work directly with assigned OEM and Tier 1 customers to introduce and apply products within the customer's new product introduction timing. The Application Engineer - Product will use the Voice of the Customer information garnered from working with our customers to help set new product development strategy and execution by identifying future requirements based on market usage/application trends specific to the customer's functional requirements. The Application Engineer - Product will help evaluate and prioritize these requirements in conjunction with the internal industry strategy team to develop an overall U. S. Steel product development roadmap that positions U. S. Steel for success.
- Work closely with the customer's Materials Engineering and Product Design and Release Engineering organizations to support the use of U. S. Steel products in automotive applications.
- Manage the process of finding applications for material grades with U. S. Steel's automotive customers for use in volume production.
- Develop an intimate knowledge of the customer's specifications and ensure all requirements can be met within the customer's new product introduction timing.
- Facilitate technology exchange meetings between U. S. Steel and our customers to promote the understanding and use of U. S. Steel products.
- Represent the Voice of the Customer in internal reviews of new products and technology development activities. - Assist in the investigation, identification, and definition of new or enhanced products and/or revenue opportunities. - Follow a structured process to evaluate and build business cases for new business opportunities.
- Develop expertise in U. S. Steel products, manufacturing processes, and their end use.
- Work across U. S. Steel and with technical Joint Ventures, Research and Development, and other partners to develop and refine product offerings.
- Support internal processes for application of materials. - Work with materials engineering teams to find alternatives to meet component functional requirements.
- Review customer orders for compliance with qualified material specifications.
- Serve as a technical representative for Sales in customer discussions and work with Product Managers to assess how/if potential new product opportunities fit into the overall product strategy.
- Stay abreast of industry issues, trends, and developments that are relevant for product development or evaluating product design opportunities.
- Identify additions to the grade/product development roadmap used to direct Research and Development activities.
- Support U. S. Steel's customers during manufacturing startup through engineering assessment of formability and root cause analysis as needed.
- Perform other projects as assigned.
Education, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- BS Mechanical Engineering or Metallurgy, Materials Science. MS preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of proven experience in automotive BIW, Closures and Chassis development and implementation into production applications with a strong sense and business case development.
- Ability to use and navigate common CAD system tools like CATIA V5, UGNX and business software packages like MS Office.
- Must have a good understanding of sheet metal forming principals, HSS and AHSS materials commonly used in today's applications and be able to recommend material alternatives based on application and product geometry.
- Experience with automotive OEM material specifications preferred.
- Exceptional communication, collaboration, and leadership skills are required with the ability to work with various levels of customer and corporate management to ensure implementation.
- Must be able to collaborate and work in a team environment with a high level of interpersonal skills and able to create technical reports and have high presentation skills.
- High level of analytical ability where problem solving is a must.
Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn't be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles - to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation's energy resources - our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation - a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.
Engineering & Research
Think: Think Critically and Drive Change
Lead: Develop Talent and Collaborate
Do: Empower Performance and Deliver Results
Equal Employment Opportunity
U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness. We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration - encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.
(California residents may visit www.ussteel.com/CANotice for information regarding collection of personal information and U. S. Steel's privacy practices.)