This Business Development Manager ("BD Manager") position supports and oversees client and market development in the Americas Corporate (comprising M&A, Insurance and Antitrust) and Tax, Pensions & Employment practices. The BD Manager oversees a Business Development Specialist in the Americas team. The BD Manager will work collaboratively with partners in both practice areas, as well as BD Managers across other practices and Clifford Chance offices. This role will support practice-area specific and cross-practice business development initiatives both domestically and internationally, as well as initiatives identified by the Senior Business Development Manager and Director of Business Development.
- Understanding the practices – working closely with the Corporate and Tax, Pensions & Employment Practice Area Leaders, as well as individual partners and lawyers, to become very familiar with their offerings, clients and markets in order to advise on the most effective marketing approaches.
- Winning new business – assisting lawyers with the preparation of capability statements and tailored client proposals; writing and/or maintaining business development materials such as practice group descriptions and lawyer biographies; identifying cross-selling opportunities, new potential clients and new areas of business; and conducting competitor, client and marketplace analysis.
- Supporting strategic client relationships – supporting client partners in developing and implementing strategic client plans and managing client teams.
- Supporting industry sector teams – supporting partners and the Senior Business Development Manager in developing and implementing strategic plans for targeting specific industry sectors and managing sector teams.
- Partner integration – support new lateral partners and lawyers with successful integration; work with laterals and newly promoted partners on the development of their individual business plans and execution of ongoing business developments needs
- Marketing communications and events/conferences – identifying opportunities to position and raise the profile of the practice and partners; assisting with the organization of client events/seminars and sponsorships/conferences (and staffing events where appropriate); drafting annual submissions for relevant legal directories and awards; supporting the production of client communications including newsletters, brochures, contact cards and advertisements, etc.; developing and maintaining content for website and intranet; and assisting with the production and distribution client briefings and other thought leadership materials. BD Manager will work with the PR/Comms and Events teams in support of this.
- Developing business plans – supporting the practice area leaders and group members in developing business plans and corresponding marketing plans and strategic plans; oversee the execution of same
- Research and market intelligence - overseeing the production of detailed client and industry research reports to support initiatives and client meetings; monitoring publications and other sources for potential opportunities and client development, and communicating intelligence gathered to partners and lawyers on a regular basis.
- Managing information – ensuring deal flow information is captured in transaction databases for league table submissions, directory listings, pitches, partner biographies, awards, and other external and internal communication activities; and managing relevant mailing lists within our CRM database.
- Other – supporting cross-practice business development initiatives (e.g., Alumni and client receptions) and working with the Corporate Professional Support Lawyer as needed on various matters to support business objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated track record of business development/marketing experience in a law firm or professional services firm, or other similar relevant experience in the legal sector (5 to 7 years minimum).
- Prior management experience.
- A global mindset and perspective.
- Ability to develop advisory relationships with partners, lawyers, and other key stakeholders by demonstrating:
- strong analytical skills and detail-oriented;
- energetic with a proactive, can-do attitude;
- solid research capabilities;
- ability to work on own initiative and highly organized;
- a consultative, collaborative approach;
- ability to work under pressure, multitask and prioritize competing needs;
- an understanding of our clients' commercial objectives and marketplace;
- the ability to use technologies critical to the position; and
- excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of our BD team by:
- collaborating with colleagues at all levels and across global offices;
- demonstrating teamwork; and
- identifying opportunities to develop new processes/improve infrastructure.
- Must be independently legally authorized to work in the United States.
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Alongside world-class legal careers, Clifford Chance offers excellent opportunities in the support functions that underpin its business operations. By joining our Business Professionals team, you will help us to innovate in the way we deliver our services and enable us to run a successful multinational business that never stands still. Business Professionals are integral to the running of the firm and are critical to its success.
It has been and continues to be the Firm’s policy to provide equal opportunity and equal terms and conditions of employment to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, immigration status, pregnancy, disability, veteran status, genetic predisposition, or any other status protected by law.
Alternatives are available for individuals who are unable to use or access our online application system. For assistance, please contact Clifford Chance's Human Resources Department at or call 212-878-8025.