This position is empowered to serve our clients and exceed their expectations through service delivery excellence. A Service Associate is primarily responsible for client service and support by handling financial transactions for lobby and/or drive-up clients in a professional manner. Service Associates provide clients with a clear understanding of the technical aspects and benefits of products and services offered at Alerus Financial to support our client’s financial wellness goals. Responsibilities include teller transactions, client service, branch security, and basic knowledge of Alerus products and services.
Job Function Number 1: Client Service - 40%
- Demonstrate the Alerus Financial mission, vision and values in providing superior client service.
- Build and establish rapport with clients by identifying clients by name, greeting clients with a smile and handshake, introducing yourself, providing personalized service, and thanking clients for stopping in as they depart.
- Engaged in and successfully complete product knowledge training to learn to recognize client opportunities.
- Acknowledge and immediately address client issues and complaints. Assist in identifying solutions to resolve issues and follow up to ensure client satisfaction.
- Effectively manage multiple client demands and provide maximum service to all clients.
- Develop basic knowledge of Alerus services and products.
- Begin to effectively refer clients to appropriate areas.
- Develop understanding of financial wellness and the holistic approach to assisting clients with their financial goals.
- Assist with the client relationships, enhancing the client experience and supporting retention goals.
Job Function Number 2: Technical Knowledge - 40%
- Serve clients by accepting deposits and payments for loans and credit cards.
- Assist clients by issuing, redeeming, and settling all travelers’ checks, savings bonds, cashier’s checks, check orders, etc.
- Effectively serve our clients by promptly responding to and resolving all balance inquiries, client questions, and problems in person or over the phone.
- Maintain a balanced teller cash drawer, adhering to cash limits and discrepancy procedures.
- Prepare client and operations documentation such as researching requisitions, checks, etc.
- Adhere to the Safe Deposit Policies and Procedures; assisting clients with box account opening, viewing and closing (at applicable locations).
- Manage safe deposit process (inventory, compliance, rotation).
- Manage client debit card instant issue and PIN changes (at applicable locations).
- Field debit card and fraud notifications.
- Support and adhere to policies and procedures around security, client ID, cash handling, cashed check, and opening and closing procedures.
- Understand and apply regulatory and compliance training.
- Report suspicious transactions, activities, and situations to appropriate personnel.
Job Function Number 3: Administrative Support. Based on office activity and staffing levels, these functions may or may not apply to the position, the % of time will fluctuate.
- Maintain supplies in and appearance of productivity centers in the area.
- Collect, sort and route incoming and outgoing mail for area.
- Maintain beverage supplies and appearance of coffee area.
- Direct phone calls to appropriate areas.
- Assist with ordering food and providing beverages for client or employee meetings as requested.
- Provide assistance on special projects for areas as requested.
- Assist with preparation of mailings, stuffers, and other projects as requested.
- Provide general office support such as faxing, proofing, document creation, etc. adhering to defined standards and procedures.
- Assist with uploading documents to nautilus and forwarding documents to operations.
Job Function Number 4: Industry Knowledge - 20%
- Develop and maintain economic and market awareness.
- Learn and understand business and financial services industry practices.
- Possess knowledge of competitive products, practices, and facilities in order to effectively refer clients to various solutions to enhance their financial wellness.
- High school graduate or GED preferred. If a current high school student, must be involved in DECA, BPA, or other similar type business program and have a recommendation from a program coordinator or school counselor.
- Previous cash handling work experience.
- Basic math proficiency and aptitude.
- Dedication to service excellence with one year of demonstrated client service experience.
- Proven track record of work stability and punctuality.
- Dedicated and satisfactory attendance/punctuality.
- Able to work Saturdays.
- Positive and passionate about taking care of clients.
- Professional appearance and attitude.
- Demonstrated social and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to stay calm in difficult situations.
- Patient and helpful with others.
- Team player, willingness to help others.
- Demonstrated aptitude to handle sensitive operational transactions and client relationships.
Personal Demands: (must be met with or without a reasonable accommodation)
- Extended periods of time standing at a desk and using office equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer/laptop for approximately 8 hours per day.
- Extended time is spent reviewing physical and electronic documents.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Periodically, may also do light lifting of supplies and materials which weighs in at approximately 50 lbs.
- Will spend most of time in an indoor environment.
Alerus Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.