Job No: 510280
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: GA - Orchestral Conducting Teaching Graduate Assistantship 2021-2022
Employee Classification: Graduate Asst Teaching
Division Name: Academic Affairs
College/Unit: Wonsook Kim College of Fine Arts
Department: School of Music
Campus Location: Normal, ILGeneral Summary
All graduate assistants are required to enroll in a major ensemble appropriate for their applied area every semester they hold an assistantship. The ensemble placement will be determined by audition in your primary applied area.
Much of the graduate teaching assistant's primary duties are in support of instruction, including but not limited to the responsibilities below:
1. Serve as a primary or secondary teaching instructor in a class or laboratory
2. Assist a faculty member with teaching-related tasks
3. Grade student assignments which require knowledge of subjects taught in a class or laboratory
4. Meet with and/or tutor students, hold office hours, prepare instructional materials, and assist during class and/or lab, etc.
For this position, the specific Teaching Assistant duties may include but are not limited to:
1. Assisting with the administration of a comprehensive university orchestral program
2. Serve as assistant conductor for the Illinois State University Symphony Orchestra
3. Serve as assistant conductor for the Illinois State University Opera and Musical Theatre Productions
4. Other duties as assigned, depending on the candidate's interests and experience and School of Music needs.
1. Eligible for appointment as per the requirements in the Graduate Assistant Handbook which can be found at http://hr.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/GA_Handbook.pdf
2. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
3. Must be a degree seeking graduate student at Illinois State University
08/12/2021Salary Rate / Pay Rate
$477.00 per monthRequired Applicant Documents
Applicants must submit a resume/C.V. for full consideration.
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"Special Instructions for Applicants
Although an audition on your primary applied instrument is not required for admission, it is required for consideration for this position. All graduate assistants are required to enroll in a major ensemble appropriate for their applied area every semester that they hold an assistantship. Audition information can be found at https://finearts.illinoisstate.edu/music-studios/.
Priority consideration will be given to candidates who complete the application and audition process by March 1, 2021, and who complete the Graduate Music Theory Proficiency Exam by March 20, 2021.
Your admission materials, applied audition, and proficiency exam results will be used to evaluate your eligibility/suitability for this position.
Graduate Assistantships for 2021-2022 in the School of Music at Illinois State University are worth at least $18,822.
* a full tuition waiver worth up to $12,108 ($6054 per semester);
* a summer tuition waiver worth up to $2,421;
* and a stipend of at least $4,293 per year.
NOTE: All graduate assistants are assessed tuition at in-state rates. Tuition waiver figures reflect 2020-2021 rates and are based on 15 credit hours per semester each for fall and spring and 6 credit hours for the summer. Students remain responsible for fees.
Note: If you have not yet been assigned a University ID, but are interested in applying for this graduate assistantship, please proceed with the graduate assistant application process. For the first question regarding your University ID, simply enter in nine (9) zeros (e.g., 000000000).
You must be eligible for employment in the United States and at Illinois State University and/or for the number of hours required for the position.
If you are an international student the rules/laws for your visa status may place limits on your employment eligibility. Students are responsible for knowing and following all applicable visa status rules/laws. If you are not certain whether your visa status allows you to accept an assistantship or additional work hours, contact the International Student and Scholar Services immediately for clarification. The University cannot grant exceptions to visa status rules/laws.
Illinois State University Graduate Assistants are restricted to no more than 28 hours per week of on-campus employment for all positions held.
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at . The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at .
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: CST