Job No: 510257
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: GA appointment Fall 2021: Teaching Assistant
Employee Classification: Graduate Asst Teaching
Division Name: Academic Affairs
College/Unit: College of Arts and Sciences
Department: School of Communication
Campus Location: Normal, ILGeneral Summary
The majority of the graduate teaching assistant's primary duties are
in support of instruction, including but not limited to the
1. Serve as a primary or secondary teaching instructor in a class or
2. Assist a faculty member with teaching-related tasks
3. Grade student assignments which require knowledge of subjects
taught in a class or laboratory
4. Meet with and/or tutor students, hold office hours, prepare instructional materials, and assist
during class and/or lab, etc.
For these positions, the Duties/Responsibilities include:
1. Fully responsible for the instruction of undergraduate students in
teaching COM 110- Communication as Critical Inquiry and/or other
instructional duties as per programmatic needs
a. Prepare and deliver all lessons
b. Grade student performances and writing
c. Create and administer tests/quizzes
2. Teach two sections of COM 110 or a comparable assignment
3. Hold office hours.
4. Attend professional workshops and seminars on teaching as well as observe other more experienced teachers.
1. Eligible for appointment as per the requirements in the Graduate Assistant Handbook which can be found at http://hr.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/GA_Handbook.pdf
2. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
3. Must be a degree seeking graduate student at Illinois State University
4. For teaching assistant positions, state law mandates demonstrable oral proficiency in the English language as a requirement for this position.
Course as assigned (between hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.)Proposed Starting Date
08/16/2021Salary Rate / Pay Rate
OpenRequired Applicant Documents
Attach a Personal Statement on Teaching that explains the reasons you want to teach and the skills and experiences you have that contribute to your interest in and ability to teach.
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"Special Instructions for Applicants
For full consideration please apply and submit all materials by February 1, 2021.
Note: If you have not yet been assigned a University ID, but are interested in applying for this graduate assistantship, please proceed with the graduate assistant application process. For the first question regarding your University ID, simply enter in nine (9) zeros (e.g., 000000000).
You must be eligible for employment in the United States and at Illinois State University and/or for the number of hours required for the position.
If you are an international student the rules/laws for your visa status may place limits on your employment eligibility. Students are responsible for knowing and following all applicable visa status rules/laws. If you are not certain whether your visa status allows you to accept an assistantship or additional work hours, contact the International Student and Scholar Services immediately for clarification. The University cannot grant exceptions to visa status rules/laws.
Illinois State University Graduate Assistants are restricted to no more than 28 hours per week of on-campus employment for all positions held.
Contact Information for Applicants
Dr. Aimee Miller-Ott 309-438-3277
Patty Franz 309-438-5898
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at . The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at .
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: Open Until Filled