The Universal Banker plays a key role in providing retail banking services and products and serves as a single point of contact for customers; fulfilling sales, service and referral needs. The Universal Banker is American Bank and Trust to the customer. In addition to performing a variety of tasks associated with transacting customer requests and verifying the completeness of retail banking transactions, the Universal Banker is in the prime position to develop new business opportunities with current and potential customers. The Universal Banker’s multi-faceted responsibilities range from cash handling and basic transactions to product and services sales to referrals to other departments within the Bank. Primary skills include in-depth product knowledge, relationship building, customer service, and sales.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate superior service by achieving both customer satisfaction and retention.
- Increase and maintain knowledge of bank products and services to assist customers; promote and provide information to customers on new and enhanced products, services, and promotions; cross sell products and ensure that American Bank is profitable; growth of deposits/customer relationships is always top priority.
- Actively and consistently refers, solicits and opens new accounts. Identify unmet needs of current and potential customers; offer, demonstrate, and setup appropriate products and services; follow-through with referrals to other departments when appropriate (Trust Services, Lending, Merchant Services, etc.)
- Open new accounts; complete new account process to ensure all appropriate information is collected from the customer and recorded in the appropriate areas of the computer system; follow-through with setup of additional products/services; ensures compliance with all Bank policies/procedures, as well as, all applicable state and federal banking regulations. Provide thorough and accurate documentation of the new account.
- Collects, verifies, and updates customer and account information on the computer and completes all paperwork/processes associated with the change(s).
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well with minimal direction and also within a group for problem solving; uses reason when faced with a unique situation. Ability, desire, and capability to use rational and intuitive reasoning in decision-making.
- Prepare and record all transactions promptly, thoroughly, and accurately; process cash transactions to and from savings, checking, and loan accounts; verify signatures, account balances, examine all checks and negotiable instruments to determine negotiability; complete transaction forms, process transactions and issue receipts.
- Receive, count, disburse and balance cash; follow bank procedures in case of discrepancy. Balance cash drawer daily according to established procedures and report any teller cash differences immediately to the direct supervisor/manager.
- Conduct work in accordance with Bank policies, procedures, and regulatory standards to ensure safety.
- Maintain strict privacy and confidentiality of customer, account, and bank security information.
- Operate computer, telephone, copier, coin machine, and other bank equipment.
- Must obtain clear understanding and working knowledge of American Bank’s data processing system. Detailed knowledge of retail computer applications is fundamental. Usage of these systems includes the input of new accounts, maintenance of existing accounts, and inquiries.
- Process customer transactions according to established procedures in a friendly, pleasant, accurate, professional, courteous and businesslike manner.
- Daily scanning and transmittal of branch capture work. Verify successful transmission at end of day. Verify batches the next business day and process any corrections.
- Maintain the highest level of security by ensuring the following: all transactions are properly documented and recorded, determine authenticity and validity of documents, keep all cash secured when away from the workspace, and follow established security protocol including proper robbery/hold-up procedures and customer privacy and confidentiality.
- At InStore Branches, the Employee will participate in “Aisle Time” to promote bank products and services by talking to both customers and potential customers of the bank.
- Participate in the team effort to accomplish branch sales and operational goals.
- Flexibility in scheduling to ensure branch coverage.
- Responsible for daily assignments and special projects as assigned by management.
- Regularly attend staff and bank meetings; the Employee is expected to be on time and contribute to the meetings.
- Possess ability to identify, address and resolve conflict using behavior and judgment that is moral and lawful with the Bank’s policies, goals, and objectives.
- Greet and welcome bank customers as soon as they walk through the door; ensuring bank safety with awareness.
- Continuously review and adapt business practices to adhere to American Bank & Trust Strategic Objectives and Goals.
*Essential Functions to be performed with or without a reasonable accommodation
- Responsible for daily assignments and special projects as assigned
- Complete mandatory annual training as assigned by the Bank and comply with additional and job-specific training requirements as directed by management
- Travel to other locations as needed
- Participate in community events to increase bank visibility and develop business opportunities
- Assume responsibility for understanding and complying with Bank attendance policy
- Community volunteer work
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by interacting with the Bank’s internal/external customers (including, but not limited to: current customers, prospective customers, clients, vendors, co-workers, supervisors and management) in a mutually respectful manner regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation and all other protected classes
- Adhere to the highest standards of ethical business conduct and compliance by always acting lawfully, ethically, honestly and professionally in the performance of their jobs as well as maintaining compliance with Bank policy and procedures as it relates to their job function
- Must be available to work varying hours including early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays