Grounds Maintenance Worker Seasonal
Where: Fort Lee, VA
Type: Temporary Seasonal Employment
Wage: $14.40/per hour minimum plus Health & Welfare Fringe Benefit
Benefits: $4.22/per hour worked in Health & Welfare Fringe Benefit, deposited directly into a 401(k)
Work Schedule: Day Shift, Monday - Friday, Flexible Work Schedule
Skookum is seeking dedicated and reliable Temporary Grounds Maintenance Workers with a positive attitude. This is an entry level opportunity to gain experience with maintaining and repairing grounds of industrial, commercial or public property around facilities such as buildings, camp and picnic grounds, parks, playgrounds, greenhouses, and athletic fields, and provide service on all grounds to ensure the grounds are clean, safe and attractive while supporting our government customer. Employees will train to operate various types of equipment and learn other skills or trades for advancement. Also, there are opportunities for pay increases based on the employee's ability to operate equipment requiring certifications, and a willingness to volunteer during snow removal operations.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Cut grass using walking-type or commercial grade riding mowers (less than 2000 lbs.).
- Trim hedges and edges around walkways, flowerbeds and wells using hedge trimmers, clippers and edging tools.
- Prune shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth using shears and other hand tools.
- Spray lawn, shrubs, and trees with fertilizer or insecticide.
- Plant grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Water lawn and shrubs during dry periods using a hose or activating sprinkler system.
- Pick-up and cart away leaves, paper or other litter.
- Remove snow from walkways, driveways, roads or parking lots using shovel and snow blower; spread salt on walkways and other areas.
- Repair and paint fences, gates, benches, tables, guardrails, and outbuildings.
- Assists with repair of roads, walkways and buildings.
- May clean comfort stations, offices, workshop areas, and parking lots by sweeping/blowing, washing, mopping and polishing.
- Clean and maintain buildings, vehicles, tools and equipment. May require hand washing mowing equipment and vehicles on a routine basis to include scrubbing and using a power washer. Building work may include janitorial work, mold removal, and movement/disposal of furnishings and equipment, and other unskilled tasks.
- Minimum 0-3 years of experience.
- Operate weed eater, blower, and/or mower on a regular basis.
- Operate tractor and commercial grade riding mowers and/or other equipment as necessary.
- May be required to use manual or power tools to complete work assignments.
- Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Read and understand contract requirements and maps.
- Multi-task throughout workday, with constant interruptions.
- Customer service oriented.
- Position requires working outside in the weather; conditions may include rain, cold and/or heat.
- Valid State Driver's license required with the ability to obtain and maintain coverage by Skookum's insurance company.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain applicable security clearances as background checks will be conducted for this position.
Skookum's mission is "Creating Opportunities for People of all Abilities."
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: visit our website at to complete an application.
Skookum is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Women/Minority/Veteran/Disabled - Click here to view the EEO is the Law Poster. Click here to view the EEO is the Law Supplement Poster.
Skookum is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.