Research and Development: Assist in the evaluation of new product and technologies. This includes designing and running experiments and analyzing data to determine physical and chemical properties of materials used in the final products.
Process / Manufacturing: Provide and implement manufacturing methodology to promote lean manufacturing, qualify new processes/materials, increase safety measures around the plant, and improve production yields. This includes learning and understanding a process and where the project fits in that process; utilizing engineering and communication skills to collect data and smoothly integrate that project.
Quality: Assist in the development and evaluation of test methods including equipment used for quality inspections. This includes reducing variation and eliminating waste in quality practices using capability studies, tolerancing analysis and measurement system analysis.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Provide technical assistance to production supervisors, technical services, process engineers and customers as required or requested.
2. Design / develop equipment and processes for maximum productivity, quality and safety.
3. Evaluate internal and industry test standards.
4. Design and develop test methods to evaluate new products and materials.
5. Perform experiments to assess the physical and chemical properties of individual insulated glass components.
6. Provide assistance to capital project activities in the areas of responsibility. Specify and order new and replacement equipment.
7. Troubleshoots production problems to reduce breakage and down time. Work with maintenance personnel to improve and repair equipment.
8. Keep abreast of developments in materials, processes and equipment applicable to the area.
9. Interface with other departments and personnel as necessary and perform other duties as required.
10. Successfully complete all projects assigned in the set timeframe.
11. Performs duties in accordance with the Business Process Documentation.
12. Participates in Viracon's Continuous Improvement efforts by understanding his/her team's performance and actively implementing and supporting process improvements.
1. Junior status (with Engineering emphasis) at a 4-year college with 3.0 GPA or higher is preferred.
2. Prior industrial or research experience a plus.
3. A motivated, self-started with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
4. Experience with Solid Works or other design software a plus.
5. Problem solving and strong analytical skills a must.
6. Ability to communicate with employees at all levels of the company.
7. Ability to design, carry out, and document tests.
8. Ability to prioritize and work on several different projects at the same time.
9. Regular attendance and good work ethic.
10. Ability to take supervision and get along well with others.
11. Safely perform essential job responsibilities.
12. Ability to read, write and understand English.
13. Promote Viracon in a positive manner and obey all policies.
Viracon is an Equal Opportunity Employer