Job Title:HOURLY - Stationary Engineering Powerhouse - Boiler Operator/Mechanic
- Operates, adjusts and maintains all powerhouse machinery, equipment and controls in accordance with prescribed procedures.
- Operates and maintains water conditioning and waste treatment equipment to prepare water for industrial use and to purify water containing industrial wastes.
- Operates and adjusts powerhouse equipment, such as boilers, diesel engines, turbines, pumps, refrigeration machines, transformers, water heaters and softeners, controls and control equipment, etc.
- As required, to maintain uninterrupted steam, water, gas and electric service to the factory.
- Lubricates dismantles, inspects, cleans, calibrates, replaces worn or damaged parts and tests powerhouse machinery and equipment.
- Must be able to locate and operate mechanical or control equipment manually.
- Make routine and special checks of all equipment and controls, and performs routine and emergency maintenance work as required.
- Checks wells, cooling towers, electrical unit load centers and sub-stations, gas facilities, etc.
- Take readings, calculates and records data. May be required to perform duties of any other powerhouse classification.
- Uses pipefitters, electricians and mechanic's hand tools, power tools, measuring and testing equipment.
- Works from schematic drawings, wiring diagrams, verbal and written instructions.
- Operates a variety of water conditioning and waste treatment equipment such as:
- Filters, circulating pumps and motors, deionizers, chlorinators, hydrotreaters, chemical feeders, and any other associated equipment to soften and sterilize water and purify water containing industrial wastes.
- Lubricates, adjusts, inspects, cleans, replaces worn or damaged parts and fittings, reassembles and checks all water and waste treatment equipment and machinery.
- Make routine chemical and bacterialogical analyses to determine water hardness, purity and degree of contamination.
- Uses all types of hand tools, and performs a variety of miscellaneous duties incidental to water and waste treatment.
- Handles materials manually or with the aid of power trucks and other material handling equipment.
- Performs any minor or emergency duties incidental to powerhouse operations.
- Must have completed a formal apprenticeship OR have 8 years of equivalent training to qualify as a Journeyman.
- Must be in good physical condition, and be able to do heavy lifting.
- Must have specialized training and/or experience in this field.
- This work requires a conscientious, dependable employee who can work with little or no supervision when necessary.
Working Conditions and Hazards
- Must be able to qualify and pass the company in plant power vehicle physical examination.
- Must be able to qualify to access/work on the roof and/or elevated heights.
- Must be able to wear a respirator
- Must work both inside and outside of buildings in all kinds of weather.
- Requires considerable walking and climbing.
- Works a rotating shift and a continuous operation.
- Frequently works around rapidly moving machinery, high pressure steam, high voltage, electricity, etc., and often works under hazardous conditions cleaning boilers, handling acids, cyanide solutions, liquid chlorine, etc.
- Must be able to work in extremely noisy areas.
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We have opportunities for all qualified applicants regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran requiring assistance and/or reasonable accommodations reviewing any of the careers information, please contact us at 317-242-5000.
Please note that Allison
Transmission will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have
applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible
fraudulent offers of employment. Allison Transmission will not solicit money or
banking information from applicants.
Primary Location:Indianapolis, IN
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We have opportunities for all qualified applicants regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status or any other protected class.