Responsible for designing methods and processes that deal with the extraction of oil and gas from deposits below the earth's surface. Determines drilling methods and monitors drilling and production efforts.
- Design and implement methods for extracting oil and gas from deposits.
- Research geologic formations and properties of the rock surrounding the oil and gas.
- Determine drilling methods.
- Determine where accessible reservoirs of hydrocarbons are located.
- Monitor and oversee drilling operations.
- Funnel oil and gas into storage tanks.
- Test samples of oil-bearing rock layers.
- Test reservoir to determine if oil or gas will flow out by itself.
- Engineer methods of returning salt water to the ground.
- Design equipment to recover oil and gas.
- Develop various enhanced recovery methods, including injecting water, chemicals, gases, or steam into an oil reservoir to force out more of the oil.
- Perform computer-controlled drilling and fracturing.
- Prevent costly spills that waste oil.
- Research and develop technology and methods for increasing recovery of resources.
- Develop methods that decrease the cost of drilling and make recovery more profitable.
- Supervise stages of natural gas processing.