Medical Appliance Technician
Responsible for inspecting and repairing medical support devices, including orthotics, prosthetics, joints, braces, and other medical appliances.
- Repair medical support devices, including braces, orthotics and prosthetic devices, joints, arch supports, and other surgical and medical appliances.
- Make or prepare prosthetics.
- Measure patients' limbs before setting device.
- Prepare parts using thermosetting materials.
- Read prescriptions and interpret instructions.
- Determine type of product or appliance to be fabricated.
- Repair or adjust medical support devices.
- Inform patients on how to use device.
- Bend, smooth, shape, and form fabric and material.
- Drill and tap holes for rivets and glue, weld, bolt, or rivet parts together to form prosthetic or orthotic devices.
- Mark dimensions and parts of product.
- Construct plaster casts of impressions of limbs and torsos.
- Use digital scans of the patient's body to create the needed product.
- Utilize techniques such as welding, carving, grinding or cutting to craft materials into desired form.
- Create and apply requested cosmetic covers.
- Apply desired color to product.