Hoist & Winch Operator
Responsible for monitoring, operating, cleaning, and repairing hoists or winches to lift and pull material with cable equipment.
- Operate hoists and winches to lift and pull loads.
- Use power-operated cable equipment on winches.
- Move levers and throttles.
- Start and stop speeds of hoist or winch drums in response to a variety of signals, including hand, bell, buzzer, telephone, loud-speaker, or whistle signals.
- Use levers and pedals to wind or unwind cable on drums.
- Monitor equipment gauges and indicators to verify load position.
- Reposition hoists and winches.
- Load and unload materials using equipment and machines.
- Select loads according to weight and size.
- Operate compressed air, diesel, electric, gasoline, or steam-driven hoists or winches in order to control movement of cableways, cages, derricks, draglines, loaders, railcars, or skips.
- Attach or disconnect cables to loads.
- Move levers to lock hoists and winches.
- Lubricate winch drums so cables can wind on.
- Repair, maintain, and adjust equipment, using hand tools.
- Climb ladders in order to position and setup vehicle-mounted derricks.