Responsible for inspecting buildings to ensure they are up to fire control standards. Detect possible fire hazards and issue warnings if buildings are not in compliance.
- Inspect buildings and structures to identify potential fire hazards.
- Ensure buildings are equipped with fire control equipment, including fire extinguishers.
- Locate fire code violations.
- Recommend actions to bring properties into compliance.
- Conduct inspections onsite.
- Check for accumulations of combustible material, electrical wiring problems, and inadequate or non-functional fire exits.
- Test fire protection systems.
- Ensure buildings are in accordance with appropriate laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, and standards.
- Write and file reports.
- Inspect properties that store, handle, and use hazardous materials to ensure compliance with laws, codes, and regulations.
- Keep abreast of current fire safety codes and firefighting procedures.
- Conduct practice fire drills.
- Evaluate evacuation procedures.
- Determine causes of fire.
- Present and explain fire code requirements and fire prevention information to engineers and construction workers.
- Collect and prepare evidence and present it in court.
- Issue and update permits.
- Serve condemnation notices when fire code violations are not corrected.
- Install fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
- Replace defective fire detection equipment.