Responsible for sketching, designing, and sewing clothing and accessories, including shoes, belts, coats, dresses, and shirts. Uses creative vision to make entire fashion lines or work for a fashion house.
- Produce and create women’s, men’s, and children’s apparel, including, suits, casual wear, seasonal clothing, maternity, and intimate apparel.
- Create preliminary sketches of designs.
- Write specifications like color schemes, construction, material types, and accessory requirements.
- Choose colors, fabrics, and other materials.
- Draw and cut out patterns.
- Sew sections of material to form mockups or samples of garments or articles.
- Test out pieces on models.
- Create garment care labels.
- Perform alternations as necessary.
- Identify target markets and demographics for designs.
- Meet with sales and management executives to discuss design ideas.
- Develop products and accessories.
- Collaborate with other designers and clients.
- Generate press to promote lines.
- Participate in runway shows that showcase the fashion.