|Position Summary: The Floater/Substitute (FT) is responsible for filling the role of either the Lead Teacher or Assistant Teacher when he or she is not in the classroom. The Floater/Substitute must be flexible and knowledgeable to work with any age group as needed. The Floater/Substitute assists other teaching staff in the daily programming for children enrolled at St. Joseph Academy (SJA). The role includes helping to provide developmentally appropriate practices and high quality early care and education. The Floater/Substitute works in partnership with the teaching staff to ensure that the needs of children and their families are understood and communicated as one of the primary SJA liaisons. The Floater/Substitute implements the early childhood program within local, state and federal guidelines, rules, regulations and laws, Wisconsin licensing, and accreditation standards. The floater is flexible and can work with a variety of age groups.
Position Reports to: Program Supervisor
- AA degree in early childhood education or related field preferred (Staff meeting minimum requirement of a, Child Development Associate (CDA) or successful completion of 12 college credits in early childhood education; must agree to obtain professional credentials within 2 years of accepting the position)
- 1+ years experience within early care working in a licensed childcare setting
- Bilingual speaker (Spanish) preferred
- Exemplary interpersonal, collaborative, and planning skills
- Interest and ability to support children and their families
- Ability to analyze an issue, identify options, and implement solutions
- Ability to work cooperatively with people in and outside of the Education/Childcare Services department
- Ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) and effectively interact with children, their family members, management, and staff members
- Ability to respond positively to work direction and guidance from others
- Ability to work independently.
Equipment Used: Office equipment: personal computers, printers, phone systems, fax machine, photocopier
|Performs duties with exposure to infectious or communicable diseases inherent to care children, and occasional exposure to loud or unpleasant voices due to unpredictable behavior of the children and seasonal exposure to high humidity, heat and cold due to the internal and external environment.
- Ensures consistent compliance and meets all accreditation and licensing regulations
- Teaching practices that are planned and executed reflect developmentally appropriate curriculum for children
- Works with staff to ensure classroom environment is in compliance with licensing standards: cleaned; well-organized; maintained and refreshed with appropriate learning centers, displays and bulletin boards
- Educational materials and toys are cleaned, sanitized, in good repair, stored and organized to optimize child safety and use
- Assists with ensuring other support areas like the Atrium, Great Room, corridors and other play areas are well-kept and prepared for children’s use.
- Supports classrooms by implementing activities and lesson plans in accordance with the Creative Curriculum, SJA philosophy and policies
- Enforces policies and procedures that ensure our compliance with the WI Department of Children and Families licensing requirements and accreditation standards
- Maintains supervision of children assigned to him/her at all times--alert to signs of illness or stress; informs Program Supervisor regarding children who may be showing signs of physical, emotional, or developmental problems
- Additional responsibilities as assigned (cleaning projects, laundry, potty breaks, busses, making copies, etc
- Ensures each family’s right to information about their child’s progress while maintaining privacy and confidentiality, at all times
- Extends excellent service to all children and families
- Communicates verbally and in writing all pertinent information to assist in family satisfaction
- Establishes appropriate relationships with children, parents/guardians, staff, and the public which ensures a safe environment that protects children/families’/staff rights
- Fosters an environment that allows children, their families and staff to develop to their fullest potential
- Cultivates positive relationships with children, parents and families
- Assists children and parents in orienting to- and making a smooth transition from home to Center and from classroom to classroom
- Solicits information from families about their cultural background and interests
- Maintains day-to-day communication with parents, including interpretation and follow through of the SJA philosophy and policies
- Participates in family-centered events within the Center and the community
- Ensures children have the opportunity to learn, progress and achieve developmentally appropriate outcomes
- Works with staff to plan and implement activities that meet each child’s individual needs.
- Informs parents of their child’s day and or development in the absence of the child’s regular care giver.
- Assists in taking anecdotal notes while in the classroom.
- Inputs information into the individual child portfolios in the absence of the child’s regular caregiver.
- Helps to maintain child and classroom records including weekly menus, meal counts, child attendance, and enrollment records
- Responds quickly and directly to the needs of children
- Collaborates with teaching staff to plan, organize, and implement daily program plans, curricula and materials
- Collaborates with classroom staff to develop a monthly classroom newsletter
- Collaborates with classroom staff to plan and implement a daily schedule
- Communicates pertinent information with members of the team and appropriate departments to ensure response to parent/guardian requests, concerns, or issues
- Participates in meetings, in-service training, staff meetings, workshops and other activities that improve the program, communication, and problem solving
- Passes annual licensing Test
- Maintains required continuing education hours.
- Advocates for issues that impact the early childhood community
- Performs other duties as assigned