Celebrating its centennial anniversary in 2022, the Chicago Council on Global Affairs is where your world and the world meet. The Council is a nonpartisan, non-profit organization that empowers more people to help shape our global future. Through content and engagement experiences that offer diverse, fact-based perspectives and in-depth analysis, we foster dialogue on the world’s most critical issues. We are committed to building an inclusive community of globally conscious people who want to actively participate in global affairs and gain the knowledge that can help them make a tangible impact – big or small – in the world.
As the Council enters its second century, we are embarking on an ambitious digital transformation and are growing our Digital Content team to reach and engage more people in Chicago and beyond.
The Chicago Council on Global Affairs is seeking an Analytics and Audience Growth Editor to work with the Content team to design and amplify original content that resonates with and grows new audiences.
The ideal candidate will play a leading role in designing data analysis best practices to identify new content opportunities for audience growth and reach. They will work with the Digital Content team to determine and meet growth and audience-focused key performance indicators (KPIs) and ensure that they align with editorial priorities and strategy for the Council. Further, they will work with the Marketing and Communications team and the IT and Database department to integrate data and reporting alongside content development.
This is a collaborative, hands-on team looking for an experienced audience and analytics editor who thrives in an innovative environment and is laser-focused on product and content optimization.
The Editor position is a hybrid role and requires some in-person attendance at our Downtown Chicago location based on work activities and peak seasons. This position reports directly to the Chief Content Officer and supervises one direct report.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluate and improve the Council’s current and future social media and web analytics environment to determine strengths and gaps as audience engagement evolves.
- Work with cross-organizational leadership to define specific audience-focused growth KPIs that align with editorial strategy and priorities.
- Report on these KPIs on a regular basis for peer and executive audiences within the Council.
- Develop the tools, processes, and methodologies used to derive and deliver insights across teams.
- Craft bespoke amplification strategies for new projects and products.
- Collaborate with Marketing and IT teams to refine and align cross-organizational understanding and best practices.
- Drive optimization across content platforms and formats, working with newsletters, headlines for search, and social media.
- Lead workshops and provide training and mentoring to promote comfort with and excitement around data and analytics.
- Innovate with colleagues to create distinctive and original data-driven storytelling.
- Manage the work activities of the writer-editor/producer-editor, including setting and tracking goals, and providing coaching, development, and training to meet and exceed performance objectives.
- Participate collaboratively with the team’s diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies, especially in incorporating DEI measures into our public and platform data strategies.
- Foster cross-team collaborations in support of the Council’s digital transformation objectives and goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Preferably a minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in audience growth and engagement
- Experience with a wide variety of data platforms such as Google Analytics v3 and v4, Google Data Studio, Sprout Social, Drupal, YouTube, Salesforce, Libsyn, and Spotify, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and correlate data and analytics across platforms and systems
- Demonstrated ability of building a wide range of reports and dashboards for internal audiences
- Experience leading data analytics integration/aggregation projects preferred
- Self-motivator with strong analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills
Council Benefit Highlights
There are many benefits to working at the Council, including a flexible remote/in-office work environment, half-day summer Fridays, paid parental leave, employer-subsidized medical/dental/vision insurance, generous paid time off, retirement match, mobile phone stipend, commuter accessible, fitness center membership, and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, handicap or disability, marital status, military service or veteran status, genetic information, or for any other reason prohibited by applicable law.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We are committed to weaving diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the fabric of the Council, and we believe people — their identities, experiences, beliefs, knowledge, and ideas — are critical to our success and to global affairs. We will elevate diverse voices and identities and a full range of perspectives, advance equitable and inclusive access to exploring and shaping ideas, and ensure our organization reflects the diversity of Chicago, our nation, and the world.
To learn more, visit: https://www.thechicagocouncil.org/about-us/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-council
For the safety and well-being of our staff, the Council requires that all prospective employees submit proof of an up-to-date COVID vaccination and booster record or seek a reasonable accommodation for a religious or medical reason prior to their first day of employment.