Mortenson's success is not a matter of luck; it's a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer and team member experience.
Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and within the communities in which we live and work. Our vibrant and inclusive culture is activated by a commitment to the principles of: Do The Right Thing, We Before Me & Inspire What's Possible and built on a legacy of values synonymous with Mortenson: Trust, Safety, Teamwork, Responsibility, Service and Stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Exciting, right? It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams.
Mortenson is honored to receive 40+ Top Workplace Awards since 2002.
The Big Picture:
The aim of this role is to improve all aspects of how we differentiate in customer interviews. We are selling in a complex B2B, large deal environment. Given the scale of our projects, the majority of our new business opportunities require an RFP process, including a written proposal and an interview with a group of customer decision-makers. As Sales/Interview Coach, you will be responsible for partnering with business unit leadership to craft the right message, as well as coaching individuals and teams to perform at our best in key customer interviews. Necessarily, you'll also be involved in the proposal development and key sales messaging to influence a consistent and differentiated message throughout the pursuit. The coach will serve on our Strategic Marketing team, supporting the entire company and reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Marketing and Business Development. As someone who works across the entire company, you will also have the opportunity to build deep relationships with our sellers, coordinate shared pursuits and propagate best practices.
The right candidate is ideally positioned in a city with a Mortenson office as your home base. However, working remotely could also be effective with frequent travel.
What you will be doing:
Leadership & Interview Coaching
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of all our businesses and service offerings
- Directly coach individuals and interview teams to improve interview performance
- Deploy a framework for developing winning interview messages, resulting in better pursuit outcomes
- Establish a system for implementing interview best practices across the organization to build learning momentum and deploy improved skills on specific pursuits
- Co-develop specific interview presentations for customers, following a winning approach that sparks attention and addresses customer needs (known and unknown)
- Teach proven methods to map stakeholder interests and engage those same stakeholders
- Provide guidance on nonverbal communication techniques to leave the right impression
- Lead interview prep meetings and all required prep work to ensure successful meetings; Setup team rehearsals and drive practice sessions
- Proactively communicate with pursuit teams to plan ahead; prioritize needs and plan for addressing multiple requests from teams across the organization
- Use considerable judgment to determine the best approach for a wide variety of customer scenarios
- Participate in planning sessions and serve as a workshop facilitator for the company's annual Sales Conference and New Seller Boot Camps
How will you succeed?
- Closely collaborate with business unit leaders responsible for each pursuit to develop a winning strategy
- Work with pursuit teams to understand the stakeholders involved on the selection committee and uncover their known/unknown needs
- Regularly meet with Business Development teams, Marketing teams and General Managers to build relationships and create traction on interview skills improvement
- Partner with key team members to elevate our proposal and interview materials
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Communications Studies, Business, or a related field
- Minimum of seven years of experience in B2B services selling, sales coaching, and/or sales enablement
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote; Salesforce.com
- Proven coaching skills in advancing individuals and groups to measurably higher performance in sales and/or customer communications (verbal, nonverbal, visuals)
- Expert-level experience in deploying sales messaging strategies and frameworks, presenting to customers
- Ability to craft winning presentation storylines and messaging for both virtual and in-person sales settings
- Bring a structured approach to understanding customer stakeholders in roles from manager to C-Level executives
- Enjoy creating close working relationships with internal customers you will be coaching
- Experience in a professional services industry (versus product companies)
- Skilled in influence without authority
- Ability to be flexible and operate in a problem-solving environment
- Heavy travel and virtual collaboration will be expected to be successful in the role
- Experience in selling high-value, complex, long sales cycle deals
- Experience using frameworks such as The Challenger Sale, The Challenger Customer and/or The Three Value Conversations