The Executive Vice President of Design and Construction will report to the President and Chief Operating Officer and will formulate, implement, and lead the strategic and tactical plans for Design and Construction departments, ensuring alignment to and support of the company's business objectives and overall strategy.
This position partners with and works collaboratively across cross-functional teams and with leadership in the successful execution of Continental's development projects. As the senior officer for his/her respective areas, the Executive Vice President of Design and Construction identifies and secures the resources necessary to achieve the long-term strategic goals for the group. Paramount to success is the talent development responsibility for all design and construction team members.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Manage, grow, and support a cohesive team in the execution of Design and Construction activities. In partnership with HR, devise and implement a people strategy to attract, develop, mentor, and retain talented team members.
- Continuously evaluate talent; assess capabilities and reconcile with departmental (and Continental) needs, strategies, and position expectations; refine position descriptions as necessary; build a bench of sustainable talent within the construction and design teams.
- Create department and position-specific benchmarks to evaluate performance based on qualitative and quantitative expectations of the company; maintain up-to-date training and development plans for team members.
- Increase efficiency and effectiveness, identify and promote innovation and best practices through the design and construction process, ensuring best in class execution/delivery.
- Provide timely, current, and relevant information to others for ongoing projects, construction pipelines, and design engagements.
- Establish and enforce project management discipline, policies, processes, and tools that enable best-in-class execution.
- Track and monitor workflow and existing pipeline to provide resource-leveling flexibility, minimizing peaks and valleys in resource utilization.
- Manage/leverage partnerships with contractors and architects to reduce costs and improve quality and consistency across projects.
- Work closely with customer insights, development, and design to generate fresh ideas, aesthetics, and the like to remain innovative/competitive in our product design.
- Evaluate and modify, as necessary, systems and procedures for reporting, project/budget estimating and controls, financial controls, etc.
- Determine and implement benchmarks to measure and improve key metrics related to budget, schedule, quality, and construction risk management.
- Develop and implement a process to capture and disseminate best practices and lessons learned.
- Oversee all construction personnel and construction activity across a national portfolio of new development projects. Direct reports include Directors of Construction, Director of Construction Analytics, Director of Design, and Procurement Director.
- Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in Real Estate, Project Management, Engineering, Construction, or related studies. An MBA and Master's degree is preferred
- Approximately 15 years (or more) of real estate development, design, and construction management experience in homebuilding, retail, hotel, and/or multifamily industries
- Progressive and substantial leadership and management roles, at least 5 years in a senior leadership role with responsibility for leading teams of at least 20 direct and indirect reports.
- A broad range of project experience and a proven track record of exceeding performance objectives; hands-on understanding of the design and construction functions as well as general business operations
- New development and financial modeling experience. Understands real estate deal level economics and the construction inputs/performance that influence these variables. Knowledge of project-level entitlements, external partners/vendors management, and other development process needs.
- Must be entrepreneurial with high energy, a strong vision for success, and a natural bias toward driving improvement. An outstanding team player with excellent communication skills, he/she will thrive on debate and challenges while fostering a respectful and collaborative environment.
Continental Properties (Continental) is a privately held Wisconsin-based national developer and operator of multifamily communities, retail, and hospitality properties. Since its inception in 1979, Continental has developed over 100 apartment communities encompassing more than 25,000 apartment homes in 19 states. Currently, Continental owns and manages 60 communities comprised of over 16,200 homes in 16 states.
We recently implemented our new strategic plan which includes the vision of 22,500 homes/units developed in the next 5 years. We have developed award-winning multifamily communities which are branded "Springs" and "Authentix" along with their newly created single-family rental platform "Avanterra".
Our mission is to create communities that enhance people's lives. We are focused on the lives of our team members and their families as well as the lives of our residents, customers, and partners that live and work in and around the communities we build across the country. Continental is a customer-centric, people-driven organization that has attracted and retained industry-leading talent.
Continental has been repeatedly recognized as a top workplace in Wisconsin and is a top workplace USA for the second year running Our collaborative style, inclusive leadership, innovative approach, and One Team environment are instrumental to our success.
What Sets Us Apart:
is a great place to work, as evidenced by our consecutive Top Workplace awards. Here are some of the reasons that our team members vote for us as a Top Workplace:
- A company culture that encourages innovation and empowers team members to act as leaders by providing the opportunities, training, and tools essential to achieving a successful and meaningful career
- Industry-leading compensation and benefits package including Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan options, flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursement, 6-weeks of paid parental leave, 401(k) with company match and company provided life and disability insurance
- An excellent work environment with potential for long-term growth in the industry, paid professional memberships and professional activities (conferences and workshops) and a tuition and certification reimbursement program
- Paid holidays and lucrative vacation time; half days on Fridays during designated months
- Participation in our Building Above and Beyond (BAAB) incentive program that rewards team members based on the success of the company as measured against clearly defined goals
- For team members who are interested, informal offsite gatherings and company sponsored lunches on a monthly basis
- Frequent communication from executive management, including interactive quarterly lunch discussions on strategic progress and an annual "State of the Company" meeting
- 6-weeks paid parental leave with family-forming & fertility benefits
- On-demand mental health support and an employee assistance program
- You Belong Here Committee focused on promoting and inclusive and equitable work environment
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and all applicable state and local fair employment practices laws, and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities.
For the benefit of our residents, the communities we serve, and our co-workers, all applicants are required to pass a post-offer criminal background check prior to joining the Continental team