The Sales and Management Intern position's primary responsibility is to fulfill our mission statement, "to create the most enjoyable shopping experience possible for our Guests." Additionally, Sales and Management Interns perform a variety of sales, merchandising and operational tasks assigned by store management (e.g. cashiering, merchandise display and pulls, register procedures, and routine cleaning of facilities). Work closely with the Store Manager to develop an understanding of how Buckle's retail business works and what it takes to excel in management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This description intends to describe the general nature and level of work performed by Teammates assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties, responsibilities and qualifications. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sales Generation and Guest Service
- Greet Guests with a friendly, engaging attitude, and is consistently prepared to provide legendary service to each Guest
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on Guest needs and desires
- Anticipate and fulfill Guest's needs by suggesting additional items and creating a wardrobing experience
- Demonstrate product utilizing product knowledge and sales education, consistently sharing that knowledge and education with Team
- Maintain and share knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices
- Achieve personal sales-per-hour, average sales and total net sales goals set by Store Management
- Provide legendary service throughout the store in these top four areas: Front 5, sales floor, fitting rooms, and the register area
- Help Guests try on or fit merchandise
- Check out and bag purchases
- Prepare merchandise for alterations
- Knowledgeable of all exchange and return procedures for Guests
- Fill out and effectively use the Sales Presentation Guide (SPG) daily to accomplish goals
- Meets or above performance standards in all Buckle business builders and guest loyalty including fit appointments, Buckle credit card and guest connect.
- Place Special Orders or call other stores to find desired merchandise
- Maintain and build good Guest relationships to develop a client based business
- Develop and maintain knowledge of Buckle's customer service expectations in order to meet the needs of every Guest
- Consistently maintain high standards, whether or not the Manager is present
Teammate Recruiting, Training and Development
- Consistently recognize recruiting opportunities by utilizing Jobs & Careers cards, email referrals and Teammate Recommend
- Maintain a positive attitude at all times creating a positive floor culture
Visual Merchandise Management
- Present merchandise in a manner that will maximize sales and achieve optimum merchandise turn
- Stay current on product range
- Work with other Teammates and Guests to identify product improvements, new product ideas and new product feedback
- Ensure sales floor is consistently sized and new freight is appropriately displayed
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include mornings, evenings, and weekends, and the day of/day after Thanksgiving and Christmas, based upon store and business needs
- Open and close cash registers, use magnetic card readers, perform tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations
- Follow all Loss Prevention guidelines, including daily bag and purse checks
- Develop and maintain knowledge of Point of Sale ("POS") procedures
- Understand and execute all policies regarding payments, exchanges and Loss Prevention practices
- Perform merchandising tasks, such as handling freight, re-merchandising, preparing displays, completing price markdowns, and transfers
- Consistently maintain a clean, organized, and shoppable store to fulfill Buckle's mission statement
- Provide feedback to Store Manager and Leadership Team regarding merchandise handling concerns
- Communicate any policy violations and Teammate or Guest concerns to Store Manager, District Manager, and/or Human Resources in a timely, confidential manner
- Understand and apply the Buckle's Code of Ethics and all Buckle's policies, procedures, and handbooks
- Additional duties as assigned
- Complete Teammate Orientation, Beginning Leadership, and Recruiting, Interviewing and Hiring sections of the Buckle Management Manual
- Provide weekly reports and progress updates to the Area Manager and District Manager
- Develop an understanding of Buckle's products, sales presentation and merchandising process
- Put knowledge into action by managing a product category - set sales goals, educate teammates and track your own results
- Lead and motivate the team by tracking the specific department or company tool through Performance Tracker. Examples include:
- Build a Specific Denim Brand
- Buckle Card
- Develop recruiting, merchandising and leadership skills
- Actively participate monthly in conference calls
- Take ownership and responsibility for all required assignments within the Internship.
- Fulfill mission statement by performing job duties with a high level of customer service while contributing to a positive team spirit.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience
In pursuit of a Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in relevant field of study; no prior experience or training necessary.
- Interested in long-term commitment with Buckle
- No visa sponsorship is available
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Teammate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the Teammate is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and jump; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The Teammate is occasionally required to sit. Physical ability to lift and maneuver 30lbs throughout the store and backroom. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the Teammate regularly works in a retail store setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Buckle is committed to hiring and developing the most qualified Teammates from the available workforce in the communities we serve.
Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Buckle, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination and retaliation because of veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, national origin or ancestry, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), or any other protected characteristic as established by applicable local, state, or federal law. For state specific information, refer to the State Law Supplements found on the Teammate Center, under Human Resources.