We take pride in the craftsmanship of our products here at Lyman Companies. After all, we are building the American Dream, and we take that mission seriously. Lyman Companies supplies high quality building materials, supplies, and services to the residential construction industry. We're an incredibly fast-growing company that is all about teamwork and collaboration while maintaining a focus on continuous improvement.
As an intern, you'll provide support to our established teams, and our teams will focus on developing your skills by providing mentorship in everyday tasks and in independent projects.
How you will spend your days as a Design Intern:
- Responsible for creating site specific construction documents of single & multi-family units, per builder specifications, using AUTOCAD or REVIT software
- Assist internal employees with detail creation used for reference & production efficiencies throughout CCC departments
- Provide accurate documentation on projects performed and update/create Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Attend meetings, events, and other networking opportunities
- Complete projects assigned by location manager
- Read and understand blueprints and detailed technical drawings
- Use computer or other technical equipment to provide a technically accurate layout (takeoff) of customer order
- Adhere to local building codes and material constraints when developing material list and design layout
- Assist customers as require - providing accurate, timely and thorough customer service
- Measure and scale projects on-site
- Attend training as required to maintain current knowledge of drafting and relevant aspects
A few things to expect in your internship:
- A full-time, 12 weeklong,paid, summer internship.
- An independent project that you'll present your findings on at the end of the 12 weeks.
- The opportunity to visit multiple locations and see a variety of business units in action.
- A community project through Habitat for Humanity.
- Participation in DISC Assessment to determine your work style.
- We'll enroll you and have you complete Six Sigma White Belt Certification.
- Lunch and Learns with the executive leadership team.
- A lot of fun!Join us for Happy Hours and a Twins baseball game with the Lyman team and the entire team of interns.
We want you to join the team if you can check these boxes:
- Full-time student who is in good standing with their college or university
- On track for a Bachelor's or Associate's degree within Civil, Architectural, or Design, Construction, or related fields
- Legally able to work in the United States
- Comfortability working in a dynamic, partial to fast paced work environment
- Proficient technical writing skills
- Excellent salesmanship and communication skills
- Experience with proprietary software, AUTOCAD, or REVIT
- Computer literate and able to read technical drawings
- Reading and interpreting blueprints in an architectural related industry
In addition, we've been known to add interns as permanent team members once the internship is over or after graduation!
We are committed to being a welcoming workplace that includes partnering with individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. This helps us hold our mission of being the Employer of Choice while providing our employees with the ability to build their career. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veteran and persons with disabilities areencouraged to apply.