GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
With precision in execution and meticulous attention to detail, performs inspections at various stages of assembly and manufacturing, including first article, in-process, and final inspections, of complex machined/molded parts for conformance to specifications. Maintains accurate records.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Mechanical Inspector ALL
The duties and responsibilities listed below apply to all levels of Mechanical Inspector. Each level of Mechanical Inspector has additional duties and responsibilities as listed.
- Prepare required inspection documentation such as written descriptions of inspection results including deviations from engineering specifications.
- Generate Discrepant Material Reports (DMR), process materials / items into and out of hold areas. Verifies remediation actions completed per DMR instructions.
- Perform Quality transactions in various systems: ERP (Cincom), DMR Log, Continuous Improvement Action Log.
- Cooperate with and support Engineering and Manufacturing efforts.
- Maintain a clean work area ensuring strict adherence to the 5S Standards.
- Comply with established safety directives.
- Familiar with KUAS Quality Management System requirements and follow procedures as applicable to Mechanical Inspector responsibilities.
- Maintain accurate time keeping.
Mechanical Inspector I
- Work with complex inspection plans, mechanical drawings and electrical drawings.
- Use of common gages and measurement instruments for inspection purposes.
- Perform AQL sampling and procedures.
- Specific skills and responsibilities for this level include:
- Performing basic math calculations.ii
- Operating Inspection Tools.i
- Demonstrating an understanding of KUAS quality policies and standards.
- Adhering to and following a wide variety of internal procedures.
- The ability to read, understand and create/update required documentation.
Mechanical Inspector II
- Perform critical quality-testing activities on projects covering mechanical installations and hardware testing.
- Perform First Article (FA) inspection to validate product requirements with little to no assistance.
- Apply established inspection procedures and recommend changes to inspection formats and procedures to improve quality process.
- Inspect complex machined and molded tools, fixtures, and parts using advanced measuring and layout instruments and equipment and visual and mechanical inspection methods.
- Present hardware and documentation for source inspection review to customer and/or government representatives.
- Assist in the training of other personnel as required.
- Perform or assist with internal QMS audits.
- Read and understand supplier performance data.
- Operate the manual CMM.
- Perform calibration process.
Additional Desired Skills for Inspector II
- CWI Weld inspection Certification/ NDT Experience
Mechanical Inspector III
- Assist Engineering with special validation requirements (prototypes, pre-production builds; all of which may have limited information).
- Work from written or verbal instructions, detailed engineering drawings and 3D models.
- Able to set up, load program and run a programmable CMM.
- Participate when needed in design reviews on cross-functional teams to ensure that conformance to specification, inspect-ability, reliability, safety and quality system objectives are met.
- Provide Manual CMM On-Job-Training to Mechanical Inspector II.
Additional Desired Skills for Inspector III
- CMM Programming using PC-DMIS or other application language.
- A&P (Airframe and Power plant) certification.
- ASQ or Industry certification such as Mechanical Inspector, Auditor, or other quality function.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control tools (SPC).
Other Job Functions
- Other duties may be assigned
Keyword: Mechanical Inspector
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Each successive level of Mechanical Inspector builds on the identified typical qualifications listed for the previous level(s) Mechanical Inspector.
Mechanical Inspector I
- High school education or equivalent.
- Minimum of 1 year related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately use common inspection instruments.
- Must be able to understand & follow KUAS quality processes and procedures.
- Must be able to demonstrate accurate basic math skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office software with the ability to navigate around files.
- Ability to learn ERP system and input accurate transactions.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize multiple assignments.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship).i
Mechanical Inspector II
- Mimimum of 2 years related experience.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Understands the use of common gages and measurement instruments.
- Proficient in surface plate tools and techniques.
- Previous application of quality tools including CMM, open set-ups, and a variety of hand inspection tools to ensure parts conform to all drawing requirements and specifications.
- Experience working with QMS, AQL, Mil, aerospace and other industry specifications.
- Proficient MS Word and MS Excel.
- Basic understanding of GD&T.
- Must be able to research traceability and construct data packages.
- Must understand calibration systems and traceability to standards.
Mechanical Inspector III
- Mimimum of 4 years of related experience as a mechanical or senior process inspector. May consider formal QA/QC training or certification in lieu of experience.
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Willing and able to train/mentor team members as needed.
- Must be able to work from written or verbal instructions, detailed engineering drawings and 3D models.
- Must be very fluent in GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing) and the application of AMSE Y14.5M.
- Able to use team skills and add value when participating on problem solving and process improvement teams.
- AA degree or some college credits preferred.
- Security Clearance preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Office and or manufacturing environment.
- May work extended hours or weekends as business needs.
- Possibility of exposure to noise and hazardous chemicals.
- Standing on a hard surface, walking, some lifting (not over 50 lbs).
- Employee may generate, handle, manage, or work around hazardous materials and hazardous wastes.
- 0-5% May be required between KUAS locations
As a federal contractor, and consistent with Executive Order 14042, we will require all newly hired employees in the United States to be fully vaccinated by December 8th 2021 or by your start date if it is after December 8th 2021, subject to approved medical, religious or other accommodation
As a federal contractor, and consistent with Executive Order 14042, we will require all newly hired employees in the United States to be fully vaccinated by January 18th 2022 or by your start date if it is after January 18th 2022, subject to approved medical, religious or other accommodation
From: Kratos Defense
Kratos is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled.
All qualified job seekers are encouraged to apply. Kratos is committed to America's veterans by providing opportunities for them to continue contributing after service to our nation. We also work to provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities.