The Engineering Development Technician Level 2 reports to the Development Lab Leader function and is responsible for the performance of routine functions which require the application of standard techniques and procedures to solve less complex technical problems. This level also supports prototype development and testing of new and existing products and provides technical support to Development Engineering personnel and controls engineers with configuration and installation of smart devices and PLC's. This position requires a moderate level of supervision; work is still reviewed by more senior technicians.
* Assembles new and/or modified mechanical components.
* Sets up and performs testing on new, modified and production product designs under operational conditions per written and verbal instructions from the project/product engineer with moderate assistance or supervision.
* Participates in installation of equipment in test fixtures, connecting valves, pumps, hydraulic, mechanical or electrical controls, cabling, tubing, power source and instrumentation.
* Ensures laboratory equipment is maintained and calibrated appropriately.
* Utilizes basic machine tools to fabricate needed assembly and test tooling and fixtures as necessary.
* Records test results (numerical and graphical data); reviews test results for compliance to test objectives and documents test progress.
* Documents mechanical or electrical problems and solutions to those problems.
* Modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications or functional limits.
* Examines parts for conformance to system or component specifications using precision measuring instruments.
* Instructs others in the safe and proper use of applicable machines and hand power tools.
* Assists in the transition of NPI products to production including production assembly and test process development.
* Analyzes test results in relation to design or rated specification and test objectives; modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications.
* Solves routine problems with little or no assistance.
* Contributes to the evolution of the product design and test planning by being an integral member of the core engineering team.
* Identifies and corrects typical malfunctions in Test Lab and/or test equipment.
Leads small projects with assistance.
* Ability to effectively work in a team environment and maintain good customer focus. Good understanding of organizational structure and flow of information in the company. Recognizes problems which are beyond capabilities and seeks help from senior technicians.
* Ability to lead small teams with assistance.
* Ability to read mechanical drawings and electrical, hydraulic and electronic schematics.
* Ability to read and use a wide range of precision mechanical and electrical measurement devices.
* Ability/desire to learn new instrumentation and data acquisition systems.
* Competent understanding of component function and testing. Learning assembly and test processes, drawings and geometric tolerances as well as shop standards and procedures.
* Effective written and verbal communication skills including presentations (internal only). Basic technical writing skills.
* Ability to interact effectively with customers during witness testing, customer visits and in similar situations.
* Basic PC skills with some functional experience using spreadsheet, word processing, and WISE screens.
* Ability to set up and troubleshoot basic instrumentation.
* Basic knowledge of appropriate WISE applications such as BOM, Item Master, NCR, EC screens, part tracking.
* Competent knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
* Maintain proper organization and cleanliness of test set ups, work areas and common areas. Follows all Woodward safety directives.
* Ability to be assigned to projects with minimal ramp up on required standard assembly and test methods.
Education or Formal Training:
* High School diploma or equivalent certificate required.
* Coursework in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry desired.
* A&P license desired (Aircraft Only).
* 3-5 years development technician experience with proficiency in mechanical or electrical systems.
* Machining experience desired.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company's innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer