WRI is a global nonprofit organization that works with leaders in government, business and civil society to research, design, and carry out practical solutions that simultaneously improve people’s lives and ensure nature can thrive.
At a Glance
We focus on 7 urgent challenges: Food, Forests, Water, Ocean, Cities, Energy and Climate.
These are complemented by 4 cross-cutting centers: Business, Economics, Equity, and Finance.
We have over 1,400 staff in 12 international offices, who work with partners in over 50 countries to put the planet on a more sustainable pathway.
Mission & Values
Our mission and values define WRI as an institution. Our values are not rules, but shared ideals and understanding that bind us together. Along with our mission and our commitment to excellence in everything we do, they articulate who we are and what we believe, influence our goals, guide our actions, and help us to explain our aspirations to others.
is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Honesty, candor and openness must guide our work to ensure credibility and to build trust.
To lead change for a sustainable world, we must be creative, forward-thinking, entrepreneurial, and adaptive.
- We are willing to risk failure to achieve substantial impact. We nurture and reward new ideas and excellence in pursuing them.
- We reinvigorate our own ideas and approaches through continuous learning.
We believe that change in human behavior is urgently needed to halt the accelerating rate of environmental deterioration.
- We seek the greatest impact by responding swiftly, decisively, and strategically to opportunities and challenges.
- We work on issues that matter where we believe we can make a unique difference.
Our effectiveness depends on work that is uncompromised by partisan politics, institutional or personal allegiances, or sources of financial support.
- We take pride in the independence of our ideas and work.
- We convey to partners and funders our commitment to unbiased judgment.
Our relationships are based on the belief that all people deserve respect.
- We encourage diversity of experience, culture, ideas, and opinions among our staff and partners.
- We seek to ensure and to recognize that each of us can take responsibility and create opportunities.
- We help each other to reach our fullest potential.
- We treat others with fairness regardless of their views on our work.
Commitment to Diversity
To achieve our global goals, WRI brings together a workforce from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. As the challenges of climate change, racial injustice, inequity and poverty are inseparable, so too are the solutions. We recognize that diversity in all of its forms is pivotal to our success. We aspire to foster an atmosphere where everyone feels welcome and supported.
WRI welcomes, values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in its global workforce and across all areas of work.
We believe that integrating these values into every action is morally right. These values also increase our impact and foster a more innovative, collaborative culture for our organization. Diversity, equity and inclusion are integral to how we live our mission every day.
We have a deep bench of passionate experts who focus on the environment, economics, data and human development. We share our analysis via our peer-reviewed knowledge products, data platforms, and Insights.